Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I am brand new to jeeping. I've only been a Jeep dad for a week and a half now.

I found a local person parting out a 98 Jeep Wrangler, Four Cylinder, near my house. I wanted to upgrade to 4.10's to make better use of my 33's. This guy has the whole axle, minus one shaft for $250.

Three things:

1) Am I getting a decent deal? He's including all of the brake stuff and the hub bearings and whatnot, just missing one of the actual axle shafts.

2) Will the stock axle from my TJ 4.0 with 3.07's fit in place of the missing axle? Will I need a new axle shaft specifically for that gear ratio?

3) How do I confirm 100% that this is the correct set of gears?

I am planning to put an 8.8 in the rear, as soon as I can track it down, but I want to make sure I'm not screwing this up by buying the wrong gear ratio axle now. I want to walk in there, inspect the merchandise, and feel confident that I am getting the right axle/differential/gearing.

I really appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks immensely-

·
Registered
265 Posts
Which axle? If it is a rear axle, it's most likely a d35 and if the front, a d30.

If the axle he's selling is a rear axle, then why bother if you're going to do the 8.8 swap? If it happens to be a d44, then scoop it up quick and don't bother with the 8.8.

250 is a tad steep for a d35 if it still needs an axle shaft IMHO. But if it's a d44 then it's a good deal if it's in good shape.

Actually, I'm not even sure if they made any 2.5L tj's with d44 rear ends now that I think of it..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, should have mentioned. This is for a Dana 30 (guessing D30 is the shorthand for that), front axle.

It will have everything, brakes included, only going to be missing that one axle shaft. He's even throwing in the wheel bearing that it had (not that I will probably be re-using it or anything).

I don't think it's a D44 front, I didn't see any mention of that being an option on the forums.

My plan was to get the 4.10's in the front from the four cylinder truck, then build up a rear to match. Gotta get a limited-slip in there somewhere!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sorry, should have mentioned. This is for a Dana 30 (guessing D30 is the shorthand for that), front axle.

It will have everything, brakes included, only going to be missing that one axle shaft. He's even throwing in the wheel bearing that it had (not that I will probably be re-using it or anything).

I don't think it's a D44 front, I didn't see any mention of that being an option on the forums.

My plan was to get the 4.10's in the front from the four cylinder truck, then build up a rear to match. Gotta get a limited-slip in there somewhere!

Research a HP D30 swap. Better for offroad purposes, stronger, not to mention, 250 could get you one in pretty decent shape complete (with both axle shafts :whistling:) at a salvage yard no problem :thumb:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's actually a really good idea.

I guess I need to get on that route instead.

I didn't know they were so cheap.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That's actually a really good idea.

I guess I need to get on that route instead.

I didn't know they were so cheap.
I'm in the same boat as you are my friend. Want 4.10 gearing, hate my axles, begin the hunt for a 4.10 hp 30 and d44

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Both front and rear ratios MUST be the same if you plan to use 4x4 or BOOM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts