Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newby here :) I've never taken my jeep off the pavement. I want a nice easy trail to just get off road and enjoy some scenery. I have no desire to climb rocks or mud bog. Is this the trail for me or any other suggestions? Also can someone please tell me how to get to Tray Mountain entrance. I know it's near Helen but can't find any directions on the net. I know how to get to Helen. Thanks!

·
Registered
255 Posts
These are the 3 roads that go to the top of Tray Mtn.

I have not been up or down via Tray Mtn Rd this year, but last year it was probably the easiest.

Indian Grave Gap Rd up to High Shoals Falls is very easy. Beyond that it is easy.

Chimney Mtn Rd may not be what you are looking for. Earlier this year it was full of very deep ruts and was a very fun ride. We had several people coming down the mtn towards us try to convince us to turn around. Very Fun. But probably not good for a first time.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Chimney Mtn Rd is where I got half way down alone and turned around because I wasn't in a group. So, yes, I'd avoid that for a first time drive.

·
I void warranties
137 Posts
subscribed

We had a great time in the Talladega National forest which might worth driving to from Georgia. Interested in exploring more of Georgia and Alabama from down here in Florida..

Oh yes, welcome to the Forum lucyp63!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roger - Where in Talladega Forest did you ride? Was it super easy? I just want scenic, through the woods, no mud holes or big rocks. Thanks!

·
I void warranties
137 Posts
Roger - Where in Talladega Forest did you ride? Was it super easy? I just want scenic, through the woods, no mud holes or big rocks. Thanks!
The main roads are 289, 3 and Able. all good forest roads, quite scenic. Many other roads are there and well marked. Forest service has maps available online and lots of gates so you should be fine. Could be quite muddy in the rain though so be advised if is is wet.

Make sure you stop by "The Spot Sports Bar Grill and Cafe" (100 Haynes St, Talladega, AL 35160). The only place to get a drink on a Sunday. It is a nicely run family operation.

Be adventurous!

·
Registered
12 Posts
i mapped out the Tray Mtn trail from Helen. this was my first off road experience and i went up chimney rd and turned back down the same way. Next time i'll start from tray mtn rd off North Main St/75 and down Chimney Mtn rd.

it was fun going up Chimney Mtn rd - I didnt know what i was doing but figured between my wife and kids freaking out at first - we would make it...it was all fun in the end. Can't wait to do it again.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Hel...36af108bbdcb:0x22f14cdcf9d02e8d!1m0!3e0?hl=en

·
I void warranties
137 Posts
Nicely done jeeper3994. Google map link is a very nice touch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks. I stayed up one night and mapped out the more popular trails in ga to visit that I wanted to visit. I'll share them if wanted

·
I void warranties
137 Posts
Indeed!

·
Registered
133 Posts
@Jeep3994 is the google map link you sent the more basic/intermediate section? I see the NE section is on chimney mountain rd but takes the southern fork. Is it the other fork that is more advanced?

Reason I ask is I want to get my new rubicon out on Monday, but we will be solo, front bumper has not shipped yet, winch is waiting on bumper, lift goes on later this week.

I too would +1 more map links

·
Registered
12 Posts
@trs80 Either way you will be fine. I went up Chimney Mtn rd and was told that was the more technical side. If a stock no lift Toyota RAV 4 went through the same section with ease, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just stay on the main trail.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If You don't mind hitting firetrails and questionably legal spots, I have some surprisingly good trails here in Atlanta, inside of the perimeter. Although they are not the most legal trails, they have been ridden regularly for at least 15 years or more with little to no hassles. This is atlanta, police have plenty of other things to do and I'm sure a few come here with their Jeep's as well. If anyone wants to tag along send me a message. Difficulty varies, but most of it is great for beginners and intermediate.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Opted to go down the Chimney mountain road side and glad I did. I was in stock rubicon and the only other vehicles I saw on that side were wranglers. Most of it was passible by a decent 4wd, but there was one stretch where you had to pick your line carefully. Would not have wanted to do it with less clearance than I had. ...not sure a rav4 made it through that section, they may have turned around. The other routes up are just gravel roads, highly recommend the Chimney mountain side for a Jeep.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I am headed to Tray Mountain this weekend (March 18 or 19) if anyone wants to come send me a PM or post here and we can meet up.
Post some pics if possible !

Wife and I will be RVing near Helen in June, and will be towing our JK up. Sounds like a nice quite afternoon in the woods !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts