Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Do not fear the Blubicon
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hardwired my A118C today. Total time, about an hour.

Tools needed:
#20 Torx

Add-a-fuse Amazon.com: ATM Add-A-Circuit KIT. This KIT includes ATM Add A Fuse (same function as Bussmann BP/HHH) and 4 Bussmann ATM fuses (ATM-2, ATM-5 and ATM-10, ATM-15): Automotive

Female 12V 5A socket adapter
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RT5TE5Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01

Start by locating the M6 fuse (accessory power) and throw in your add-a-fuse. Attach your 12v 5a cig lighter plug. Don't forget to ground. There's a great spot right next to the fuse box.

2015-11-20 10.11.43.jpg 2015-11-20 10.11.56.jpg

Pop off the passenger side panel and locate the little foam-filled hole. Use something long and rigid :D to poke a hole through it. Then fish your dash cam power cord through.

2015-11-20 10.26.30.jpg 2015-11-20 10.26.01.jpg

REMOVE YOUR FREEDOM TOPS. Trust me.

Using a #20 torx, remove the passenger mirror so that you can pop out the upper windshield trim. Run the power cord under the pillar trim (should just be able to pop it under the trim with your fingernail) and then under the upper windshield trim and poke out the end of the power cable where you intend to mount your dash cam.

image-2285107952.jpg

image-2686265629.jpg

Plug everything in and use a few zip ties to secure any extra power cable.

image-669546392.jpg

2015-11-20 10.39.04.jpg

I also used electrical tape for waterproofing the power connection.

image-2529191271.jpg

·
Do not fear the Blubicon
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
134 Posts
Following your thread, ordered similar parts from a Chinese site.
It's really a no-brainer mod.
Now dashcam is hidden behind the rearview mirror (i got compact mini0805) and overall it looks like my Rubi was built that way. No more cable around the cabin.

I found a good grounding point exactly near the fusebox - convenient place to calm all possible wire vibrations.
Was using an old power supply cable from some PSU - core for 12V coming from fusebox, shield for the grounding.
@WineCountryWheeler: Thank you for your photo report which helped me a lot!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
subbed

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Black Box B40, capacitor version since I'm in SoCal, the battery versions don't do well in extreme heat.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TXR2P40/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_jmluwb38ZY2G0
just a few questions, i was reading the reviews and a person wa saying that it deletes the videos automatically, do you know if thats true or not?
also, do you need a separate place to store the videos? or does it all record to the Micro Sim? Very nice build thread by the way, how is the night time recording? i was also wondering about the camera you placed on the rear of the vehicle and the new rear view mirror, what mirror was that? and is it a mirror or just a screen that shows the camera in the back?

·
Registered
74 Posts
All dash cams are designed to write over data. There is a button you can push to preserve data you don't want written over. How well these buttons work for the actual clip you need varies widely.

Myself I carry two cards. One in the camera and a cheap smaller card. Then if something happens I wait for ten or so minutes then pull the main card and put the other in. Still covered for driving related events and for sure have what I want saved. Cheap insurance.

·
Do not fear the Blubicon
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
just a few questions, i was reading the reviews and a person wa saying that it deletes the videos automatically, do you know if thats true or not?
also, do you need a separate place to store the videos? or does it all record to the Micro Sim? Very nice build thread by the way, how is the night time recording? i was also wondering about the camera you placed on the rear of the vehicle and the new rear view mirror, what mirror was that? and is it a mirror or just a screen that shows the camera in the back?

So the DashCam uses a 32gb micro sim card, and I get about 5-6 hours of full 1080P HD video before it begins to overwrite itself. I believe there is a setting on the camera to record in lower quality, but for several personal reasons I prefer to keep my recordings at the highest video quality possible.

Night time recording is great as long as the headlights are on or there is ambient light. There is another version of the camera that I hvae (A118C) made by Street Gaurdian that has a better low-light camera. It's a bit more expensive though. My DashCam was $88

I have 2 micro SD cards. One is for the trails and one for the pavement. I just swap them as needed.

The camera and monitor I installed for rear-view were purchased on Amazon.

The camera can be found here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o09_s01

The Screen can be found here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o09_s00

·
Registered
134 Posts
Parking Mode recording device which aims to prevent accidental battery discharge: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B008B8ERIO

I don't have it yet but 100% should - during the day i park at public parking, far away from my actual workplace which is in DT.

Regarding the storage size... I have 32Gb and its more than enough to keep a few hours of history.

Still the most ultimate solution should be instant cloud storage, where data once shot should not be easily deleted even if somebody gets into the cabin. But this tech is yet to be seen through upcoming years as this requires a data plan and supporting device....

·
Registered
402 Posts
My MINI 0806 holds two 128 Gig micros. It is supposed to switch on its own between the two but never has, but I can do it with a couple of button pushes if needed. I just had to download some software to be able to format the cards with my PC.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts