Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are replacing our Honda Ridgeline with a new Jeep Unlimited. I will have to haul lumber, not a lot (a few boards) from our local Lowe's or HD back home about 3 miles. Will I be able to raise the back window and insert the boards all the way up front. Most lumber is 6 or 8 feet in length. 4'x8' sheets of plywood will probably have to go on the roof. Anyone encounter this?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Yes, just do as you say.
In a stock jeep, the brake light over your tire is whats going to be in the way.
Also, take a pool noodle cut in half lengthwise or some foam pipe insulation and put it over the top edge tailgate to keep the wood from chipping paint off.

Reactions: SOCALGAL

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, just do as you say.
In a stock jeep, the brake light over your tire is whats going to be in the way.
Also, take a pool noodle cut in half lengthwise or some foam pipe insulation and put it over the top edge tailgate to keep the wood from chipping paint off.
Thanks, any idea how long boards can be, 6' 8' 10'?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Pretty sure plywood would have to be strapped to the top. The 3rd brake light is going to be in the way otherwise.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Honestly, if it's only 3 miles, just bring someone along to hold things in place. Did that last year. Had lumber far too long for the back. And far too wide. Used a rope or three to keep the swing gate closed, and my wife sat in the back to keep an eye on things. We had 5 miles to travel.

For that short of a distance, don't care about whether you get stopped on the way home. Just get it there, and all the other drivers on the road will understand. You're not committing grand larceny.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
When I switched from my full size Ram truck to my Jeep, I bought a utility trailer for all of my hauling needs. I don't need hauling capacity all that often, but when I do, the utility trailer is not a problem behind the Jeep.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Check out harber freight trailers. They come in handy for more than you can think of right now.

Reactions: cranbiz

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the quick responses. I could always have Lowe's or HD cut the plywood down to a more manageable size too! No the only question is when will the 2018 colors be out as we are hoping for a forest green next year. That Hyper green would not be our choide, ever!

·
Registered
507 Posts
anything sticking out 4ft should have a red flag tied at the rear, most lumber yards and big boxes will have something on their tie down table by the exit to use as a flag.

I'll third the suggestion of a small trailer, always handy in regards to the extra space as well as well as being able to leave it loaded if you're rushed.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Check out harber freight trailers. They come in handy for more than you can think of right now.
I paid about $270 for one of those foldup trailers and I used it a lot. When not in use, I folded it up and stored it in my garage. I finally sold it for $300 when I retired. Now I wish I still had it.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I've hauled 4 4x8 sheets of plywood on top of my JK Unlimited before. The top was off and I put towels on top of the windshield and the sound bar. Used ratchet straps to hold them down. Only drove for 4 miles but it worked.

·
Registered
2008 Jeep Wrangler JK
405 Posts
Take the top off, back seat out, and toss a 'bagster' in the back before heading to the lumber yard. If you are only hauling 2X4 and such, spread it out between the seats and fill it up. It save on the seats and with the handles, it is easy to lift out when you get home. If hauling plywood, toss it up on the frame, lay 4X8 sheets in, and tie the straps off on the soft top attachment points on the frame.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I would think hauling the plywood on the roll bar would be preferable over putting it on your top. Plus it gives you unlimited tie down options, and no scratches.

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
Honestly, if it's only 3 miles, just bring someone along to hold things in place. Did that last year. Had lumber far too long for the back. And far too wide. Used a rope or three to keep the swing gate closed, and my wife sat in the back to keep an eye on things. We had 5 miles to travel.

For that short of a distance, don't care about whether you get stopped on the way home. Just get it there, and all the other drivers on the road will understand. You're not committing grand larceny.
Bad performance here, viper. Doesn't matter how far you think you're going. Secure your load. ALWAYS.

A person holding shiat doesn't compete with straps, ever.

People friggin die or are seriously injured from unsecured loads flying off.
Woman’s crusade against unsecured loads leads to national law | The Seattle Times

Get some ratchet straps and do it right. Strap those things down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bad performance here, viper. Doesn't matter how far you think you're going. Secure your load. ALWAYS.

A person holding shiat doesn't compete with straps, ever.

People friggin die or are seriously injured from unsecured loads flying off.
Woman’s crusade against unsecured loads leads to national law | The Seattle Times

Get some ratchet straps and do it right. Strap those things down.
That is bad performance - you're totally right. And right on you for calling me out on it. Shouldn't post when beers have been had. I was a jerk, and that is terrible advice. Not at all recommended. Always secure any load - safety first.

Won't happen again.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts