Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
they are 4" longer than stock TJ lines.
if you buy them new as a replacement part you could buy some SS lines for a few $$ more instead.

i heard that SS lines will give a better brake handling. is that right...?
I have my doubts. The stock TJ brake lines only shortcoming (pun intended) is their length.

mrblaine I'm sure could chime in on the stock lines and their quality. There are other areas you could upgrade for better braking than the brake lines. It would probably take crazy pressure to even rupture a good TJ line. For better braking, a better choice would be better rotors and pads, dual piston calipers, or even Vanco's Big Brake kit if you have large tires on your TJ.

I THOUGHT I needed the Vanco kit for my TJ as my pedal travel was HUGE. After talking with mrblaine, my biggest issues was my rear drums being out of adjustment. After doing that, the brakes were VERY responsive, even with 33's. Now I STILL need to put on front rotors and pads as my rotors are REALLY grooved from getting stuff stuck there while wheeling, but it brakes MUCH better now.

To me, SS brake lines is more about show than actual effectiveness. Either way, if your tires rub at full turn, you risk breaking a line, I know this from experience. If you look at the pic below, you can see how we had to shorten the hard line and rebend it to work. You can also see where the tire was rubbing. I was turning back and forth while giving it gas (still stuck tho) and this was the result.

I think you'd be better off running your hard line to the inside of your frame, then getting some of the longer YJ lines and just running them to your brakes vs buying the SS lines.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
:flipoff:

the washers came with the brake lines. they were hidden in a little small plastik bag behind the installation manual... :D

:wavey:
Glad it all worked out for you. All I can tell you about extending the rear brake line, is that I did not, on mine. I have a 4" suspension lift, with no problems. I did extend the front brake lines. I still have the extension for the rear, in the box. It all came together in one package.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
stock fronts from YJ i've heard are perfect. (confirm?)
Yeah but the stock YJ hoses have a rubber hose section. Pay the couple of $$ more and just order new SS ones for the TJ.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts