Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any advice on how to lock
My spare tire on the tailgate? There's been lots of tire Thefts in my area lately (winters coming!)

Thanks

·
Registered
802 Posts
You can get a keyed lug nut to put on one of the studs.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Keyed lug nut.

Bicycle lock, one of the coated cable ones...run it through a hole in the tire then through the tire carrier.

Etc.
Hopefully he doesn't have a hole in his tire....would not make a good spare.......:D

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Tire shops, Auto parts stores..... etc. Google might be of some assistance as well. :)

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
They can also be referred to as wheel locks...all it is is a lug nut that uses a special socket to remove it properly. They're not Jeep specific.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have a keyed lugnut AND a coated cable with the heaviest duty lock I could get. You would have to REALLY want that tire to get it off

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks alot! A buddy down the street came out to go to work and found his car jacked up with 2 jacks and all tires missing...other thiefs like this went on before last winter as well...rather not
Have my new 33" tires go missing haha

·
Administrator
30,782 Posts
Go to a local tire retailler and pick up a set (one for each wheel). It will run you about 25-30 dollars for all 5 with the key.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
To me, keyed lugnuts are way more trouble than they are really worth unless you have to park your Jeep in really bad areas all the time. I got rid of my keyed lugnuts years ago and couldn't be happier.

For the spare, it's really hard to beat what was already suggested above, a vinyl covered bicycle cable and lock. It works well and is what I use to secure my spare. :)

·
Commercial MemberX
8,641 Posts
x2 I'm not one to go with special nuts either. Seems like every jeep I get in has one on the spare and I don't have a key for it.

I just put my spare on the back and hammer the nuts with an impact....lets see um try to get those off with a 4 way hehe

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Thanks alot! A buddy down the street came out to go to work and found his car jacked up with 2 jacks and all tires missing...other thiefs like this went on before last winter as well...rather not
Have my new 33" tires go missing haha
wow where the heck do you live?

·
Registered
642 Posts
IMO, the keyed lug nuts aren't worth even 1/2 the price they cost. Anyone can buy "Emergency Lug Nut Lock Removers" from any parts store that is basically just like a broken stud remover.

I use one of these....

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
If you buy keyed lugnots buy the OEM ones, the keys are better made.

·
Abe Froman
3,786 Posts
I agree that the keyed lugs will not keep someone from stealing your tires if they really want them, just like an alarm does not keep people from breaking into your Jeep. You just want to make it difficult for them to steal something and most thieves will look for an easier target unless they know exactly what they want. Jerry's Jeep is a good example. I learned living in Detroit that if they really want it they will take it. Your job is to make yourself a harder target than the guy next door.

·
Registered
642 Posts
But the keyed lug nut removers are just like using a regular lug wrench. No more difficult than removing a standard lug nut.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts