Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to Jeeps! I have a 1995 YJ & I need help with the proper way to lower the soft top. I saw the step by step forthe TJ - is there a step by step for the YJ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Go on YouTube or Google it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I had an 01 TJ, i now have a 91 YJ. I felt slightly retarded trying to get the top off. Heres the jist for it.

Step 1) Forget everything you know about a TJ.
Step 2) The soft upper door halves are buttoned on along the bottom.
(You have no idea how long it took me to discover there are buttons everywhere on a YJ top.)
Step 3) untuck the top from the lip above the windshield.
Step 4) Take off all the windows (can do this from here or earlier, I just forgot to write this step)
Step 5) unbutton the top from the door frames
Step 6) Roll the Top back.

This literally took me 4-5 hours to figure out. Keep in mind, I was also replacing the top, but none the less, it made me feel Fn stupid.

Good luck.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I had an 01 TJ, i now have a 91 YJ. I felt slightly retarded trying to get the top off. Heres the jist for it.

Step 1) Forget everything you know about a TJ.
Step 2) The soft upper door halves are buttoned on along the bottom.
(You have no idea how long it took me to discover there are buttons everywhere on a YJ top.)
Step 3) untuck the top from the lip above the windshield.
Step 4) Take off all the windows (can do this from here or earlier, I just forgot to write this step)
Step 5) unbutton the top from the door frames
Step 6) Roll the Top back.

This literally took me 4-5 hours to figure out. Keep in mind, I was also replacing the top, but none the less, it made me feel Fn stupid.

Good luck.
Factory soft top frame....

I dont know what kind of top you have but there are no buttons(snaps) holding my half door uppers to the half doors.they are velcroed around the bottom of the frame and have a spline that tucks onto a channel, same as the tub.
there is one snap by the mirrors to unsnap.

1) pull down on the bars above the rear side windows to release the tension on the top
2) unzip the sides of the rear window, open the tailgate and pull the rear window bar out of the clips and roll the rear window up and snap it with the elastic straps above the rear window. Or leave it free to be tucked in to the top when folded down.
3) untuck the side windows from the tub channel, unzip them and remove them. The front of the windows tucks into a channel of the door frame.
4) untuck the rear corners of the soft top
5) unsnap the 5 snaps on each side above the doors
6) untuck the top from the windshield channel and fold or roll it back
7) at the top front of the door surround by windshield frame is a plastic clip that you slide (forward or backward I cant remember off hand) to release the door frame
8) fold that top door frame down and push the bow behind the door opening back at an angle and push part way back on the tub. at same time push forward on the rear top bow so they meet in the middle of the tub and lean the whole top toward the rear, behind the rear seat.

Half door uppers....

1) unsnap the snaps by the mirrors on the doors
2) open the doors and release the velcro at the bottom of the uppers, and pull the spline out of the track on the outside of half door
3) pull up on the uppers to remove

·
Registered
613 Posts
Once you have it all folded down behind the rear seat you can pull the whole thing straight to the rear of the tub and remove it from the jeep if you desire, the top bows (behind the door and at rear window) glide in a track on the inside of the tub.
At the bottom of the top bows you'll see round plastic buttons, when the top is up the rear bow will lock into a small half circle cutout in that channel near the rear of the family roll bar.

·
Registered
194 Posts
@NEWYJOWNER> You are absolutely right, just the one snap by the mirror. Sorry about that. I haven't taken the top off that since I replaced it. TJ's are so much easier. lol, tech taking its advancement.

Sorry for the misinformation on those doors, wasn't thinking.

Good looking out.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
I learned real fast to NOT like zippers at all. Even keeping 'em lubed, they were still a pain.

I would;
1. unhook the back corners and slide sides out under windows, then disco the bottom of the rear window.
2. Pull rear of cover up slightly to remove pull front from end.
3. undo snaps and slide front out from windshiled.
4. Slide the whole top off with windows & all and set it in the garage.
5. fold frame down out of the way...

I took the half ass easy way, only takes about 2 minutes to get it off and put in the garage. Downfall to this, you won't have your top with you if it starts raining lol. But in my case, I'd leave it off for days on end and just use a tarp or my sun top overnight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts