Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My YJ is very clean. Besides the frame needing touch up paint, it looks pretty much new as there is no internal rust. My concern is, my leaf springs are pretty much rusting and there's a few minor chips in the frame paint that have created surface rust. I don't want this rust to spread.

How often should I clean the undercarriage? I live in Miami, but on the far west side by the Everglades, so salty beach water or salty roads are not issues for me.

How should I go about cleaning under there and preventing rust?

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
touch up rust sports with por15 before you spray it all down with oil like fluid film because that will make painting impossible without trying to get all the oil off.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The oem frame treatment isnt very good and it will eventually all begin to fail/peel.
When I did my lift, I broke out my grinder and a stack of flap wheels to strip off surface rust, corrosion, etc. Then hit it with a rust stopping/preventative primer and paint- several coats. Many will use fluid film,, por15, etc, etc. Any number of unlimited options.
But ultimately, it doesn't matter what you use,
just keep an eye on it and clean and treat as needed and you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My 91 is rust free and you can eat off my frame and underside. It spends the summers on the beach in OBX. I have a body lift, mostly to make keeping it perfect easier. If any rust pops up, I wire wheel and hit it with rattle can black. If I do any work, I clean and paint.
I also use my winch and hang my jeep from the house (it's on pilings ) and pressure wash frequently when I have been playing.

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
I also use my winch and hang my jeep from the house (it's on pilings ) and pressure wash frequently when I have been playing.
That brings to mind quite a mental picture.

I never thought of doing that. I don't think my garage joists will hold my Jeep and I don't have any trees that are big enough.

Maybe I could use the bucket on my neighbors backhoe.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Any sand that gets in the frame, rinses right out. Also a good test to make sure your power steering resivore seal is good ! Ha ha, learned that one the messy way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts