Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fender flares are sort of faded gray and chalky looking...

I see all sorts of fixs....from heat gun to chemicals, to paint and dye.....

Whats the BEST fix without replacing?

·
Registered
239 Posts
painting flares

I used the duplicolor bed liner on my grill and leading edge of fenders. U think it looks really good. Doing my fender flares next. Very cheap and easy. Will post a pic later. Won't let me from my phone right now

·
Registered
265 Posts
I did the heat gun thing yesterday. Yes it gets rid of the chalky look and brings them back, but mine up close looks like a bad paint can spray job. I mean there is not way to NOT see the lines as you run the heat gun because basically you are melting them a little so they dont melt evenly. But that said i still like not having them look weathered. Tire black is still the best thing ive found that isnt permanent. I think someone hit the nail on the head when they say all these products will fade... from bedliner spray to cooking oil, which by the way works too for a month or so.

Dew

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Nothing beats the traditional lightly sand then krylon satin black method unless you like the bedliner look and texture. Bedliner is tough but IMO, much more difficult to clean due to the gritty texture vs. krylon paint.

·
Registered
2 Posts
BlackWow

I used to have a Mini Cooper S and the Mini has a LOT of black plastic that fades and looks terrible.

One of the things I added to my Mini's detail bucket is Black Wow and it really does a great job of restoring faded black plastic.

BlackWow Trim Restorers

It lasts longer and looks better than most of the other options I have tried. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Jerry... did you find you needed to heat gun them.... wait a day then do them again? Ive still got light spots on mine the next day. obviously like painting i found i may need a second coat.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Duragloss Ultimate Detail Spray--- Love this stuff comes in a spray can--used it on fenders-- middle console--tires--makes everything look like new and its fast

1 - 20 of 101 Posts