Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
Light sanding and Dual Bond Krylon satin black worked for me. I sprayed about 5 coats per flare. Still looks new even after the rough northeast region winter.
this is what i would have done if i didnt get them lined.. this is some good paint. i have painted alot of stuff on my jeep with it

·
Registered
26 Posts
I personally like the Rustoleum spray can bedliner. It has a matte color and a texture similar to 220 grit sandpaper. With four coats on it is very durable. I also keep a can in the toolbox for touch ups. Due to the texture you can spray a touch up and never tell where the chip was. i have used it on fender flares, wheels, windshield hinges, and door hinges.

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
I personally like the Rustoleum spray can bedliner. It has a matte color and a texture similar to 220 grit sandpaper. With four coats on it is very durable. I also keep a can in the toolbox for touch ups. Due to the texture you can spray a touch up and never tell where the chip was. i have used it on fender flares, wheels, windshield hinges, and door hinges.
What about prep?

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
Nothing beats the traditional lightly sand then krylon satin black method unless you like the bedliner look and texture. Bedliner is tough but IMO, much more difficult to clean due to the gritty texture vs. krylon paint.

true but mine is made by dupont and its smooth

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Back to Black works great, but it's a bit labor-intense.. I have found that Armor All Tire Spray Foam works JUST as good, and is much faster and easier..
I'm going to bed-line mine though because i'm tired of the fuss even with the spray foam..

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was looking into this as I didn't have any luck with Back to Black. So I had an accident and the insurance company replaced them!

Now that I'm starting new, I'm going to try Griot's Vinyl & Rubber Dressing. It was recommended by a guy at work and his cars always look great all the time! Even when it's snowy and nasty out.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I vote NO on Plastidip! I just power-washed all of mine off earlier today.. Comes off too easy, and gets just as grey and dirty as the plastic factory fenders.

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
I vote NO on Plastidip! I just power-washed all of mine off earlier today.. Comes off too easy, and gets just as grey and dirty as the plastic factory fenders.
Same here that crap is pointless unless your just curious what it looks like black! Do it right or dont do it

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I just bought plastidip for mine. Going to be returning it tomorrow. Gonna find krylon fusion. I have bedliner now and it's all cracking and flaking off.

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
I just bought plastidip for mine. Going to be returning it tomorrow. Gonna find krylon fusion. I have bedliner now and it's all cracking and flaking off.
Krylon is good paint.. I had mine bedlined inside and out so the rocks wouldnt cause the spidering effect

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Picked up Krylon Satin black and painted the front fenders. After they dried I put them on the Jeep and stood back and looked at them. Yuck!! The finish has way to much shine for my liking. Not at all what I'd hoped for. I'm gonna spray some flat black on them now

·
Registered
544 Posts
A couple months ago I tried cutting/trimming my flares. It looked awful haha. I pretty much ruined a good set of flares. I ended up buying a brand new 6 piece set of Rugged Ridge flares for $80. Yes, $80. Originally they were $200+ but amazon was selling a set for $80 because the packaging was "damaged". The flares were otherwise were in brand new condition.

To the OP, I would recommend painting them with any of the spray paints listed above. Don't bother taking the flares off to do it though. It's torture taking them on and off.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,761 Posts
I still recommend at least trying the heat gun method I mentioned on page one. It's free, takes only a few minutes, lasts a long time, and doesn't require masking. And you never run out of heat gun. ;) Those seeking perfection may not be happy with it but I certainly was. When I ran fender flares at least.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 101 Posts