Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
959 Posts
^^^^ Check out ebay. Picked up a Black & Decker heat gun a few months ago for 22 bucks. Even came with a kit with extra attachments... handy to have around.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the advice Holton345. I'm gonna go with the rust-oleum route, love the look of the more rough flat black than the shiny glossy black.

Did you, or has anyone else done anything special to prep, besides just a general cleaner on them?

·
Registered
154 Posts
thumbs down on the heat gun, unless your really don't care about how it looks. I did the rust oleum bedliner on fenders flares, running boards, mirrors, doors handles and both bumpers. it looks great, has a satin matte finish and a great texture. Made my '04 LJ look like new.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I used herculiner and it's held up well, I wanted a textured look to match my side protectors, and herculiner is really textured.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Peanut Butter

I had a jar of smooth peanut butter I used for a long time. I tried Mother's Back to Black and a few other tire shine type solutions but the PB worked better. Just had to buff it on in small amounts...

I think I'm going to go ahead and do the Rustoleum bedliner. I have a few deep scuffs and scratches I need to work on. I also ran out of PB. LOL.

(Sidenote - I have some grape smelling tire shine... intresting smell combo)

·
Registered
424 Posts
I tried all the stuff the parts stores sell,and had no luck.Next I tried the heat gun,still no luck.I then went with my intuition and removed all of the flares and the stubby thing that sits on the fender behind the front flare.I scrubbed them really well with soap and water and a stiff brush,then blew them dry with compressed air.I then scrubbed them thoroughly all over with a red Scotchbrite pad.One more compressed air routine.I then shot them with Krylon Fusion.I used a semi-gloss black textured.I went through 2 cans.Total cost was less than $20.00,and I did all of this on a Saturday.This was 2 years ago,and my plastic still looks awesome.Too bad I'm about to remove all of it for upgrading to PSC Crusher Corners and soon after that tube fenders.The method I used works great,just be patient and do it right the first time.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I feel like I've posted this 100 times already in various threads. Penetrol - the paint additive you can get at Home Depot. Dirt cheap, easy to apply and lasts for a year or more between applications. Google it and you will find it used in this application a lot. Great stuff.

2017 JKUWW - Granite Crystal, 24W, Auto, Premium Top, Alpine, LED Lights, Teraflex Leveling Kit, Ace Rock Sliders

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not the OP, but I need to do this too.
I'm torn between the wipe New and krylon fusion satin, but my question is, will those both work on the hard top too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
A buddy of mine used some stuff called back to black or something like that. I believe it's made by Mother's. He said it worked great on his faded plastic trim and restored it to a nice wet looking black

·
Registered
29 Posts
A buddy of mine used some stuff called back to black or something like that. I believe it's made by Mother's. He said it worked great on his faded plastic trim and restored it to a nice wet looking black
That won't last though. Couple of good rainstorms and some sun and it's gone again.

I removed mine, wiped good with auto body wax & grease remover, scrubbed with dawn dish soap, lightly scuffed with mild 3M abrasive pad (did not remove the texture), sprayed with bulldog adhesion promotor (for applying enamels to plastic), 2 coats of SEM satin black bumper coating. This lasted me 8+ years in the Texas sun. A lot of steps compared with the nice Krylon work I'm seeing but seemed to hold up well for me.

·
Registered
847 Posts
My fender flares are sort of faded gray and chalky looking...

I see all sorts of fixs....from heat gun to chemicals, to paint and dye.....

Whats the BEST fix without replacing?
Try this stuff. Found at Home Depot. This mirror n bracket were completely faded out, chalky.

20170401_231050.jpg

20170401_231114.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
WATERPROOF flare cleaner/restorer?

I have a set of Bushwacker flat fenders a few years old on my 2005 TJ. They aren't chalky gray. Coating them with 303 makes them look nice but if ANY moisture gets on them or if it rains then the 303 comes right off. IMO, 303 is only good for the interior. What can I put on my flares that will be waterproof. I don't want to repaint them, just coat them with something that won't wash off.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts