Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I make my exhaust nice and mean sounding, to make my car sound tough, and like its got one heck of a pair! I don't want anything over obnoxious, I just want it to sound tough when I rev it a bit!!

Tips, tricks, pics?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Swap in a v8. Other than that, it depends on the engine. I know that flowmaster 50 series mufflers will make most things sound deep and tough, but that is relative.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
my exhaust end,s at the cat. and everyone around here love,s it..2.5 5speed

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Assuming stock engine you have several options depending on the sound you want. Flowmaster, or similar, make free flowing mufflers in different series for different sound. A 40 series is louder than a 50, and a 30 is louder than a 40; but some you may not get to pass emissions if that is required.

I would assume you have a cat, and I have run an open exhaust after the cat to make it sound mean. It works, but it also detunes the system and could create some issues with MPG and worse case cause it to run a bit bad. If you are willing to do the work, you can tune it to your desires quite easily though. In the old days we just ran glass packs, cheap and easy to install but over time they typically got "ratty" sounding because the glass would get blown out.

·
Registered
423 Posts
i put in a magnaflow free flow cat and a Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, it sounds really good without being obnoxious. But after having it for 3 months, i just want it to be silent, so im going back to a quiet muffler and getting rid of the Super 44.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought an 87 with a straight 6. The guy before the guy I bought it from either lost or chopped the original exhaust. He used flex pipe and and strapped two semi stacks together and made it sound mean as ffffuuuuu.

It could be a hell of a lot prettier, and there are of course minor backflow issues, but other than that, it sounds like it should be street racing, not trailing.

Excuse the mud, just got back from trailing this weekend.

Besides the LOUD downshifting, there are no issues with mileage or engine wear/tear.

Yeah, the guy went on the cheap with most of the mods on my jeep (i'm slowly fixing that.. You should have seen the ((nonexistent) suspension!!!), this one is my favorite. It would look nice with new stacks, to be sure.

Major downside: no room for an actual bumper or any other bumper attachments. This being said, I have a hard time letting this mod go.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
i put the cherry bomb extream off road muffler, one in and two out , looks cool with the tip's out the back. real deep sound , sounds like a small v8 , i put in two motorcycle baffels in the tip's just to hush it up a little. great muffler if you do it right meaning go out the back of the jeep you get 0 drown. they sell them one in and one out if you dont want dules,

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Depends on if you have the four banger or the straight six. Four banger, forget about it. It will just be annoying. With the straight six, as others have mentioned here, the Flowmaster 50 will give you a nice aggressive tone without being loud. The Thrush brand will do the same sound, but it's cheaper and not quite as good of quality. Dynomax SuperTurbo mufflers are also a very nice choice.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm running the 4banger and it sounds sick. My catalytic converter is hollow, and it runs straight back to a Borla square tip, no muffler. I'm not sure if that'll be legal where you are, but its working great for me.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I have a four bangger and I gutted the cat and put a flowmaster 40 series on. Sounds great u can still talk but others can hear ya comming round the bend. Sounds much better than I thought that it would.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts