Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2016 wrangler stock license plate holder will does not fit my porcelain shorter license plate very good at all. as you all know the OEM mount is set up for a full size tag. Is there any good way to mount a shorter tag? If not what do I need to buy aftermarket and where can I find these mounts. I cant seem to find them online .… ??

I'm new here !!

Thanks in advance !!!!!:jawdrop:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
What is a “porcelain shorter license plate”?

Reactions: CTarna

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
61,359 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

·
Registered
10,334 Posts

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Cut a piece of sheet metal to the size of a standard tag, punch holes where they should be, paint it, mount your tag to it, mount it.

Where are you that you're running a squirrelly tag like that?

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Reactions: Phynal

·
Registered
1,134 Posts

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Okay! So many specialized plates these days I thought what have they come up with now.
:beerdrinking:
Seems a strange sort of fetish, doesn't it?
I could see putting one on something of that vintage or on the front in a state that doesn't have front plates. I used to have a Euro tag on the front of my MINI Cooper...

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yeah, but why put a not legal tag on the back? Unless it’s a strictly off road vehicle. Maybe the original poster will explain?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I believe you can still get plates in that size in Delaware. I see them when we take my Chrysler on our annual trip to Ocean City, MD and drive from my in-laws near Philly down all the way through DE. Narrower black tags. Just not porcelain, obviously.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
It's a Delaware thing. Tags are transferable, and people pay money to buy "low digit" plates off of each other. The snaller/shorter the number, the more expensive.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Good idea, it's my girls jeep, that should answer that for you ..:bop:
Della-where?

I went to the U of D. Go Blue Hens!

....didn't know I could've had a squirrelly little tag though....

·
Registered
893 Posts
These are current-issue tags, or old tags the state DMV lets you re-register?

Wouldn't apply to a JK of course, but in most states you can run older plates on vintage cars -- but only as long as it matches the model year of the car. It would be pretty cool to have a 40's Jeep with a 40's tag. Lost of square or near-square shapes from the 30s and 40s, although most states started using the same shape we have now starting in the 50s. I gave a friend a 1926 tag I found in a barn for his 26 lowboy hot rod, those were short and wide, similar to European tags.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts