Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

in most situations when i stucked it was the best way to tow my TJ to the rear. That´s why i think that a winch in the rear would make more sense than a winch at the front.

Do you have a winch in the rear? How did you install it? Pictures?

If not, do you know a rear winch mount solution?

Thanks for your answers.

nicolas-eric :)

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
2018 JLUR on tons and 40's.
6,851 Posts
Nth degree has a pretty slick setup. You can mount up the winch to their cradle that fits inside their winch bumper.

They also have a rear cradle. I can't seem to find it on their website though.

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
2018 JLUR on tons and 40's.
6,851 Posts
The front bumper from Nth allows you to run 1 winch in the front and rear. The cradle I can't find pictures of allows you to quick mount your winch to the back of your jeep.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
As much as I agree with you nic, since EVERY time I have been stuck, I got yanked out in the rear, it does make more sense to be able to swap front/rear (atleast to me)

I have seen people use a hitch setup like first posted, and they seem to work out pretty good. I have not seen a cradle setup yet, but I would think thats probably a better solution than a hitch.

just my .02. If I spend that much on a recovery device, I would want to be able to use it front/rear but thats just me.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
I have seen custom set up where the winch is mounted upside down on a plate that was fab'd between the frame behind the rear bumper. There was a hole in the rear bumper that allowed the line and everything to come out of.... but something like that is prolly out of the question.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,131 Posts
The problem with receiver hitch-mounted winches is that the receiver hitches are not even close to being designed or rated for the type loads a winch can exert on it.

Think about it... a hitch rated to tow 3500 lbs. isn't saying it's strong enough to support 3500 lbs, it's saying it's safe to tow a 3500 lb. trailer whose rolling weight would be significantly less. You can roll a 3500 lb. trailer around on pavement a bit but no way could you lift that much.

A 9,000 lb. winch could easily exert loads in any of a half-dozen directions, only one of which is the hitch designed for. Not to mention its capacity is greater than the receiver hitch's design limits.

When a Jeep is really stuck, I sure wouldn't be happy with a receiver mounted hitch. That's like putting a 5 amp fuse into a circuit where the load could be 1 to 25 amps.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When a Jeep is really stuck, I sure wouldn't be happy with a receiver mounted hitch. That's like putting a 5 amp fuse into a circuit where the load could be 1 to 25 amps.
thats why i´m searching for another solution.
another thing is that i don´t want to carry a 90 lbs winch from the front to the rear when i´m stucked.

i think installing a winch in the trunk isn´t a good idea. it has to be installed somewhere on the frame and not on the body.

i hope that i´ll find a solution. because the best way out was always to the rear until now.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I dont have a winch, so this is purley from what I have been told, but isnt there a way, using snatch blocks and stuff, in which a front mounted winch can pull you backwards?

I know ive seen a guy try and run a line under his truck and DESTROY his drivetrain, but I think I remember hearing there is a safe way to do it NOT running a line under your Jeep

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I dont have a winch, so this is purley from what I have been told, but isnt there a way, using snatch blocks and stuff, in which a front mounted winch can pull you backwards?

I know ive seen a guy try and run a line under his truck and DESTROY his drivetrain, but I think I remember hearing there is a safe way to do it NOT running a line under your Jeep
that sounds interesting. but i don´t know how to get the cable to the rear. and this has to be done when the jeep is already stuck. so it´s not a good idea to put the cable under the tj.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
No no no, never ever put a winch cable under a truck and use it :p What I meant was I saw someone do that once and TORE UP their whole drivetrain BUT there is a way to winch yourself backwards with a front mounted winch.

I think you run the cable forward around a tree, and then using snatch blocks make a triangle with the last tree behind ya and it pulls backwards but im not really sure.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i talked to some friends about installing a winch at the rear. do you think this could be a good solution?

the red plate will be made of 3/8" steel. it will be installed on the green stock bumper mounting points. the blue 3/8" steel plate will be welded to the red plate. on the blue plate i would install a winch.
do you think this could work?

do you have some other suggestions..?

·
Registered
678 Posts
I would think it needs more reinforcement than that. what do you get stuck in anyway? Mud? I take my Jeep through all sorts of stuff and the only time I got stuck was a high centered it because I stopped for some reason for a dip and another beer.

·
Registered
5,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
where i go wheelingit´s very muddy most of the time. sometimes i stuck in mud thats so deep that the TC plate is in the mud.

i know that it would need more reinforcement.it´s only a first thought...

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
whats under the rear seats? Make brackets that go through the body and connect all the way to the frame.. maybe that might do the trick so you can have the winch inside your rig? I'm just giving ideas here hopefully no one will flame me... speaking of flames today i ducktaped my tailpipe to see if it fits right before i get it welded and i started my rig up for less than a minute and the ducttape started to soften to a point where you could rip it like its paper.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
To add to TRIPLE88A - IMO - I think the torsional stresses will be too great if you canterleaver the winch as you are proposing. I think it will flex too much under severe loading and you may damage the rear frame unless it's seriously beefed up using a piece of box channel and some heavy duty brackets to the frame.

I think your buddy had the right idea and mount the winch inside the bed area. I would fab a cross member using a couple of pieces of 3/8" thick x 2" box channel and mount them between the bed and the frame. Weld the cross members to the frame or bolt them using grade 8 hardware.

Now you can mount the factory winch plate to the inside of the bed area (also using grade 8 hardware) to the new subframe. You will need to fab a bracket to keep your tailgate open during recovery.

Basically, this design emulates the design of the front mounted system. The stresses are distributed along the frame during loading. As the winch loads, it wants to rip itself off the bolts under torsional stress and the bolts are all under under tension.

If you canterleaver it, you still have the situation where the loading forces are trying to twist the winch off the back off the Jeep. In a canterleaver design, the top part of the mounting plate is under tension and the bottom part is under compression. You can weld in gussets (between the blue and red plates) to minimize the torque on the winch mounting plate and the mounting bracket but you still have an huge amount of force trying to basically rip off the bumper plate top bolts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts