Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have seen that a lot of people have been asking how to put a rack on a 2door JK. I wanted to be a guinea pig for drilling into the top of the hard top and proving it does not leak afterward. My main reason to get the rack was to put skis and snowboards up there. I have a Thule spare me with thule's ski/snowboard rack that mounts on a bike rack. That was fine but I didn't feel comfortable opening the tailgate without supporting all of the weight. In addition to that, hanging down, the skis accumulated road salts/slush.

The first thing I got was a Thule 300 foot kit and a set of 58" bars that I found in my moms basement from her old bronco II. The only other thing I had to buy was a Yakima toploader brackets. I chose those other thule(which I like better) because it came in pairs instead of sets of 4 so it was cheaper since I only needed 2.

Shopping list:
Thule 300 foot kit
58" load bars
Yakima toploader ~$35

-First I chose a spot that I wanted. For me it was 19.5" past that ridge on the back of the top. I chose to do it on an elevated ridge of the top so that there would be less water puddling
- then I laid the bracket down and drilled a 5/16" hole, after drilling a smaller pilot hole
-The kit came with RTV gasket sealer but not enough to caulk it how much I wanted to so I just used some indoor outdoor clear silicone caulk
-bolt everything down and throw your rack on

I chose to use the front rain gutters for the front bars. I know some people don't like this idea but there is a forward rake on the rack in addition to the rake of the jeep, the only forces will be rearward and down so that is safe. I did a test run for 20 minutes with a sheet of plywood on it and it held fine. I would advise if you use the freedom panels for the rack mount you put it on the back so there is no leverage to apply more torque to the top

This should be a very good rack for not much money

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pics

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts