Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like the title says, I am curious as to what I should be looking for in a winch. Synthetic line or steel, poundage, size, brand etc. I am also interested in what people carry when they wheel as far as recovery equipment and supplies (extra fuel, water, tools etc.) I want to put together decent gear before I start sinking money into a lift and tires.

Not just opinions please. I am new to off road anything and I want to be educated about a potential purchase. I am planning my build out over a few years so I can make sure I only have to buy once. I see people rushing to put on lifts and bigger tires, but have zero if any recovery equipment to use if they ever wheel their Jeep.

I have already ordered a new bumper and tire carrier and I want to have enough recovery equipment to be self sufficient and help friends who would go with me. So any input you all can offer will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
There are several threads on the steel vs synthetic. There are several more on trail bag contents. They have a lot of details in them.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Choose the 8,000+ pound Warn winch that fits in your budget. Keep in mind you will be using this winch as a last resort after the $10,000 in other mods you installed failed to get you through an obstacle. Don't be cheap.

I run a Warn VR8000, which is adequate for moderate trails including the rubicon. I would consider one of their higher end winch offerings if I was traversing more difficult trails.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are several threads on the steel vs synthetic. There are several more on trail bag contents. They have a lot of details in them.
Thank you. I didn't even know it was called a "trail bag". :)

At least now I know what to search for.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Choose the 8,000+ pound Warn winch that fits in your budget. Keep in mind you will be using this winch as a last resort after the $10,000 in other mods you installed failed to get you through an obstacle. Don't be cheap.

I run a Warn VR8000, which is adequate for moderate trails including the rubicon. I would consider one of their higher end winch offerings if I was traversing more difficult trails.
I was looking at Warn, based solely on name recognition. I certainly don't plan to go cheap. I've learned a long time ago that when you buy cheap you buy twice. I want it right the first time. Which is why I'm pacing my build out for so long. That and I don't have 10k to drop right away. Seems easier to pace the expense out over time. The same way I would build an AR Platform rifle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a recovery bag: 30' and 6' strap, snatch block, wireless remote for Warn, gloves
Warn 9.5 cti-s and GenRight bumper:
Awesome set up! What is a snatch block?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Look up jeep off road tips and recovery on YouTube to figure out all the specs and info on recovery gear.

Ronny Dahl in Australia does a pretty comprehensive video series: http://youtu.be/uZPdzWsNotY?list=PLR6JepWZ7T694ouPamU5kk99Kry2WotwB

Also look up Jeep Recovery gear bags on Amazon and Quadratec and you will likely find complete kits that have all the basics. I ended up going with a complete ARB kit.

My two cents:
The two winches I've narrowed down and researched were Warn and Smittybuilt's X20 line. Warn is $$$ but consensus is it's the premium brand. However, you usually can get more LB rating for less $ if you don't go with Warn. Just depends how much you want to invest.

I bought my JKU sport December 2014 and have been building it up for the past year. Started with the interior (bedlined and seat covers), then did bumpers and tire carrier, armor, winch and recovery gear, and lift and tires. Now this year is the rubi axle swap, gears, Spod, light bar, and CB.

I made a huge excel sheet with a budget and bought pieces every month. Fun times.

Also some jeep clubs have recovery or winch 101 events, definitely go to one of you can.

Good luck with your build!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Warn 88898 Snatch Block - 9000 lb. Load Capacity

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yPO77QEpqo
Awesome info! So based on that video, the snatch block acts as a pulley system and is a more efficient way to use the winch?

That strap around the tree was called a tree saver? I also had no idea you couldn't wrap the cable around the tree and hook it back onto itself.

I think I will do a lot more reading on just the act of winching in general before I pull the trigger on a purchase. It appears there is more to it than just hooking up to stuff and using the winch. Thanks a ton for the info!

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Awesome info! So based on that video, the snatch block acts as a pulley system and is a more efficient way to use the winch?

That strap around the tree was called a tree saver? I also had no idea you couldn't wrap the cable around the tree and hook it back onto itself.

I think I will do a lot more reading on just the act of winching in general before I pull the trigger on a purchase. It appears there is more to it than just hooking up to stuff and using the winch. Thanks a ton for the info!
Once you've made your purchase go out and practice, make yourself familiar with the equipment in non-stuck situations, helps a lot.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I bought a Warn Zeon 8S. Like others have said, it's well known for reliability. The cost difference between a Warn and a lesser brand is probably less that what it would cost for a professional recovery if your cheap winch failed. And certainly if you had to replace your winch, you're spending the money again, but even more so having to do the installation again which is something I'd rather not do twice.

I went with the synthetic line for a couple of reasons. First, it's just easier to handle. No frayed cable to cut your hands, it pulls out straight and easy, and doesn't kink. Second, the safety factor. It isn't nearly as dangerous if it breaks, and if it does break you can easily tie a knot and use it to get you by. If a steel cable breaks, it's done.

On another note, like all mods you are usually not going to get very much, if any money back on your investment. A good quality winch may add a little more at resale, or at least be worth taking off and transferring to new Jeep or selling independently.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Any chance you could hook up with a club, or participate in an off-road school, before you buy the gear?

It is an awesome experience to get your hands on, and see what others have. This will help you figure out what "you" need to have, versus what we feel you need.

The other side is knowing when to use what (i.e. snatch versus winching). A good class will cover all this, with ample hands on time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any chance you could hook up with a club, or participate in an off-road school, before you buy the gear?

It is an awesome experience to get your hands on, and see what others have. This will help you figure out what "you" need to have, versus what we feel you need.

The other side is knowing when to use what (i.e. snatch versus winching). A good class will cover all this, with ample hands on time.
I got in touch with a few local groups close to my area. Freedom Offroad and some people I met with Chaos Offroad. I plan to go to Rausch Creek in May to Krawlin for COPS, a charity fundraising event with trail rides and vendors. Going to tailor my build based off the limitations of the Jeep in stock form before I go hog wild with mods. I figured it would be best to see what I'm willing to do with my vehicle before I go spending money on things I won't use.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
That sounds like a lot of fun! :thumb:

There are a lot of programs at Rausch Creek. They have a winch class in April, and other trail runs/classes before then. Might give them a call. :thumb:

Programs | Rausch Creek Off-Road Park

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That sounds like a lot of fun! :thumb:

There are a lot of programs at Rausch Creek. They have a winch class in April, and other trail runs/classes before then. Might give them a call. :thumb:

Programs | Rausch Creek Off-Road Park
They're over 3 hours from me, so this will be a once a year weekend trip for me. I am planning on attending the 4x4 101 classes as well as introduction to welding and get to know your 4x4 held by Chaos. They are 30 minutes from me for the shop and about 40 minutes for their off road park in Capon Bridge WV. I am already planning to try and learn as much as I can. I don't want to be that guy on a trail who doesn't know crap about his rig or how to use it. Finding this forum is a great resource for a beginner so I don't sound like a total newb when I attend a class or two.

·
Registered
457 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts