Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1997 TJ. 4 cylinder. 5 speed manual.

I have a coolant leak. More than a drip. Small steady stream. It doesn't appear to be leaking from the radiator. The leak appears father back, more around the serpentine belt area, mid engine area? I can pour more coolant in and watch it leak from the same place. I can't find the source of the leak because its dark, even with a flash light.

I taking it in to the shop tomorrow. What can I expect? Why is this happening?

·
Registered
881 Posts
It shouldn't be too bad; where you are describing the leak is where the water pump and thermostat are locaced. A worn out pump wouldn't leak that bad but it could be anything from a busted heater hose or lower rad hose, or cracked pump or thermostat housing.
You could still be looking at a several hundred $ bill for repairs at the going shop rates though.
Just be glad that it's not a cracked head!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sounds like it might be the weep hole on the water pump but it could be anything really. If you can "watch it leak" you should be able to see where it's coming from. Take some pics and post them...we'll more than likely be able to see where it's coming from

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No warning lights on the dash. Temp guage hasn't changed either. Kind of strange.

Opened up the radiator and it looks dry. Poured in some coolant, just to watch it leak out, and then shortly stopped. Not driving it again except to the shop.

Other history includes replacing the radiator about 25,000 miles back with no problems til now.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Use a radiator pressure tester, pump it up and watch for the stream.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Repair shop replaced water pump, which was original engine part 15 years old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts