Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And bring it back to life

I’m open to arguments about selling vs storing my Jeep for 3 years, but, like many of us, I do have some sentimental attachment to the old girl. The thing is also paid off and I’m the only owner so....

I may be taking an overseas job and be gone for up to three years.

The Jeep would be parked, maybe someone could come drive it a couple of times a year. I’m thinking uncovered storage but it may get a garage or car port situation.

Do I drain all the fluids before storage or leave them as is and drain once I get back? What about fuel? Tank full with stabilizer or empty? Put it on back stands or just leave it on the tires knowing they’ll need to be replaced anyway.

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,682 Posts
I would change the oil...full tank of gas with a whole bottle of stabilizer....remove the battery unless you can keep a tender on it....covered would be better....garage best....

Reactions: SilverbulletJKU1775

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
I would also do something to prevent a rodent from nesting or causing havoc.
mothballs, drier sheets...

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
I would change the oil...full tank of gas with a whole bottle of stabilizer....remove the battery unless you can keep a tender on it....covered would be better....garage best....
I would not use a tender for long term storage. I deployed for a mere 3 months, left my jeep indoors with a Battery Tender brand charger on it. Came back to a dead optima yellowtop, and a fried ECU. I dont know what the issue was, but I'll never take that risk again.

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,682 Posts
I would not use a tender for long term storage. I deployed for a mere 3 months, left my jeep indoors with a Battery Tender brand charger on it. Came back to a dead optima yellowtop, and a fried ECU. I dont know what the issue was, but I'll never take that risk again.
Fair enough....probably best to just remove battery then...or un hook it....

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
For 3 years... I would put it on jack stands, perhaps with wheels off, stored separately.
Some are filling cylinders with oil to prevent corrosion.
I would store it whithout gas, in 3 years any gas will go bad.
All rubber parts must be covered with cilicone grease or any other rubber compatibe grease/conservant.
Battery removed.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
What kind of mods are on it, anything serious? If it's pretty stock, I'd sell it, invest the money, and consider a JL when you return.

Reactions: CoffeeFarmer

·
Registered
367 Posts
3 years without running the AC is not good.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Where are you located? Is there a Jeep club nearby? Perhaps someone could drive it for you once a month or so?

·
Registered
810 Posts
3 years is a long time to have it sit, some good suggestions already but normally if going overseas to work one can make some good coin; if me, I would sell and put money in bank and buy another upon return.
Facts are the tires will likely dry rot, rodents even in a garage, fuel spoilage, oils/fluids will change and settle, hoses will crack and gaskets will dry out. I had a TJ that was not used for two years ( company car ) and by driving it once in a while did OK other then the tires drying out.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I would park it in a garage, covered, and plan on taking it to a shop for an overhaul of hoses and fluid flushes when you get back. Just drain all the fuel, and pour fresh in to drive it to a shop when you get back.
Will probably need new tires anyways, but if they are fairly good/new now, I would probably put it on jack stands and I would still drive on those tires 3 years later. Most will probably say how bad of an idea that is, but that’s what I would do.

Honestly other than fluid flushes, I may just wait and see if any tubing or lines go bad..... depending on climate it may not be so bad if garaged/covered for three years.

People restore some crazy cars....... I saw a 1999 Dodge Viper Rt10 with 18 miles on it...... new owner slapped new tires and changed fluids and called it a day.

·
Premium Member
2014 JKUR
127 Posts
I just don't think I'd consider it unless it was garaged, or mini-warehoused. And I'd do some rodent deterrent for sure. It's a tough call.....but storing indoors is a big consideration for me.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'd sell it. 3 yrs is a LONG time for a depreciating asset with elements that suffer accelerated degradation from non-use.

Older cars can sit b/c of the lack of electrical and large mechanical tolerances...

If ya do store it, you will need someone to care for it...

1. No ethanol based fuel. If ethanol, drain the tank.
2. Change all the oils (gas in engine oil makes acid, water/moisture elsewhere means rust).
3. Battery should be removed. 3yrs unattended on a battery tender is a recipe for disaster (if you do leave it un-attended, it needs a temp monitors for thermal runaway - it doesn't take much for it to happen).
4. Tires will flat spot - may or may not be permanent, but jack stands are suggested.
5. Fog the cylinders and intake.
6. Wipe all rubber down with silicon...

You have conflicting needs with the various components :
Steel/body likes hot dry;
Interior like warm/cool, low humidity
Rubber likes cooler/more humid...
Seals need to be exposed to the oil/lube they are protecting.

The biggest issue will be the seals and belts...

Rubber/seals naturally excrete a very small amount of internal oil when cycled/used...and dry out if never touched (ex : driver door gasket vs tailgate window if never used).

If you're in humid area, mold/mildew WILL become an issue in the interior especially as the temps cycle.

Power windows will 'stick' if not cycled....

Best advice if ya keep it - find a relative that has some space and will drive it enough monthly so that one tankful is burned every 3-4months. Store it in an enclosed garage with humidity control. Once mold/mildew starts in an interior, it is a bitxh to get out.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The jeep will be worth a lot more now than it will be after sitting for three years, and that doesn't take into account the money and time you will spend prepping it for storage and then getting it back up to snuff when you get back.

Now if you had a friend or family member that could drive it once a month or so that would be a different story.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
I had an 800 milliamp Deltran Battery Tender on mine for 10 months. Today it started right up for the first time in 10 months. My battery is a Walmart EverMaxx.

·
Registered
6,244 Posts
I had an 800 milliamp Deltran Battery Tender on mine for 10 months. Today it started right up for the first time in 10 months. My battery is a Walmart EverMaxx.
Yea, like I said I dont know exactly what the issue was, but if I had the battery disconnected, I wouldnt have had a fried ECU.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
3 years is a long time. I wouldn't even consider it unless it's heavy upgraded and can be stored inside.

Lots can happen in 3 years- it would better to have cash in the bank rather than loosing money on a Jeep rotting.

Also to consider- You probably have to keep the registration current, and this usually requires some kind of insurance, even it's just for storage- depends on the state.

If you did have indoor storage- I would put it on jack stands, drain the gas (not even sure how to do that), and pull the battery. Do some searching for long term storage for classic cars- that'll give you an idea- people do it all the time but you're going to need all new fluids and probably replace the majority of rubber things (wipers, hoses, tires, belt, etc).

Also factor in the cost of storage.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts