Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,
To start I'm am new to having a 98 Jeep Wrangler TJ. I inherited this Jeep from my late Uncle. I live in Los Angeles, so for me, I would drive this on the beach or sand dunes. Maybe some back roads. No rock climbing or xxtrem off road.

So my Jeep is an automatic 3 speed with a 4L 2.5 engine. I have read the manual on how to go into 4w Hi and 4w Lo.
As I understand,

* When going into 4hi, you can be driving in regular gear, then, going no fast then 10 - 15 miles, put the 4x4 shifter into 4h and go.

* When going into 4lo, put the Jeep in neutral, then put the 4x4 shifter from 4hi , past Neutral to 4lo. Keep the speed no faster then 5 miles an hour.

If anyone can better explain how to operate the gears properly in an automatic 98 TJ? Or if I missed something? Please, please go and explain.
I don't mind the redundancy if this will keep me from not damaging my Jeeps transmission.

Thanks again.

Cheers.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,431 Posts
If you're in low range and off-roading, then you'll probably want to keep it in 1st or 2nd gear. Speed is not necessarily your friend, when you're on the trail. If you're in high range, then you can leave it in drive, or select the gear that's appropriate to the situation.

·
Registered
179 Posts
While driving, I switch to N, always making sure to keep thrust, around 5 MPH. Right then I put 4L.
Its normal to hear some mechanical friction. This is even noted in the owners manual.(y)
I think I have never been able to put 4L while in Drive, dont remember. I always switch to N.

With 4H I can switch to it in Drive, and faster. It engages very quickly and easy.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I never shift any 4x4 into 4 L while still moving, no need to. That's like trying to downshift with no clutch, and when it grinds or you force it, its telling you something. Far a speeds in low range....if you cant get what you need in 4 L and the trans in 1st or 2nd then stay in 4 H, your transfer case will thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.