Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Commercial Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any strategies for protecting the winch from elements? I've seen neoprene covers, but have been surprised there aren't any plastic tupperware covers to protect from rain/water.

Also, it seems like an easy thing to unbolt, cut the wires and steal. Anything you can do to secure it down from theft?

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
Keep it in a safe....... If someone wants something bad enough they will get it. I have to take my bumper off to be able to remove my winch so I have never looked into ways of trying to slow someone down if they wanted to snatch it. As far as covers and such go, most people I know dont use them. But if you needed one I would think the neoprene would be more then enough. If you have a desent winch the weather is not going to hurt it.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I got a neoprene cover for my Warn powerplant. Mainly because I got sick of picking the bugs and crap out of it. I had a warn on my TJ and it sat out for 6 years with no problems uncovered.

The powerplant sits down inside the bumper on my JKU, not worried about it being stolen. Depending on where your at, I would think it's fine.

·
Commercial Member
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm considering a Smittybuilt as it's about half the price with synthetic and gets great reviews except for the solenoid being exposed to water and causing problems. Thanks for the ideas on the locks. That seems like a good idea.

I'd love to get a Warn, but doing a bumper and warn is out of my price range.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I'm no winch expert by any means, but I know the 12k Warn on my work truck is about 15 yrs old, has never been covered, and has never failed to operate.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Neoprene cover here on my 9.5. More to keep the elements away from the synthetic line, though.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I'm considering a Smittybuilt as it's about half the price with synthetic and gets great reviews except for the solenoid being exposed to water and causing problems. Thanks for the ideas on the locks. That seems like a good idea.

I'd love to get a Warn, but doing a bumper and warn is out of my price range.
Last place I'd normally suggest but check EBay for the Warn. I wasn't planning on getting one for awhile but magically one arrived one day. My husband tried to hide the box, but did he think I wouldn't notice once it was on my bumper? Easily half price- though it was the 9.0 ct. PM me if you want the seller. All inbox; totally legit. Alternate to Smitty's.
will be ordering locks though. I am apparently a beacon for auto thieves and have had just about every car broken into.....

·
Registered
579 Posts
I don't know what price point it will be but Warn has the new Zeon line coming out soon. I saw a picture of it with an optional integrated line cover that is pretty slick.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts