Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys
on my 97 TJ what do I have to do to get the frt coil spring lower enough to get a spacer in

thanks

P.scott:whistling:

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
the sway bar, shocks, and maybe the track bar too. you can use a floor jack under on side to raise it up and make the other go down to make it easier. also removing the tire on the side you are working on helps. leave the other tire on to make jacking easier.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
Get it up high and support the frame with jacks tands. Pull the wheels, unfasten lower shock bolts, remove sway bar fasteners at axle and jack up one end of the axle at a time. The other side will drop lower as you raise one end. You may or may not have to remove the bolt for the track bar at the axle end.

Or you can use spring compressors but, that's not an option for me. Too dangerous!!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,630 Posts
One more thing that will often help once the frame is up on jack stands & the axle is drooping as far as possible... if the axle isn't quite drooping enough to get the spring out & you just need a skoshe more space but you're not anxious to remove more bolts, try a jackstand under the opposite side to apply upward pressure. That will usually cause the other side to drop down a tad lower.

·
Registered
8,951 Posts
make sure to remove the jounce bumper and bumpstop cup. you'll need to do this anyway to install the bumpstop extensions that should have come with your BB kit. if you don't have those, you'll need to get them before installing anything.

Follow these instructions:
Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost Installation Write-Up for Jeep TJ

I would suggest using spring compressors. They may not be "needed" but they sure make life easier. You can rent them from your local auto parts store for nothing.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
For me it was put it on stands, tires off, disconnect the sway bar, jack up one side and put on a pair of spring compressors then let it droop back down. makes it easier to put back in too since its already compressed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts