Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 Jeep Sport 2 door

Jeep has a lot of plastic molding that is held together with plastic rivets. I want to remove the molding between the tub and the side of the front seats. The molding is covering up wiring that extends from the dash to the rear of Jeep.

How are the rivets removed?

Do you need a special trim tool?

Can the rivets be reinstalled or must they be replaced with new?

·
Registered
208 Posts
They are push in rivets. I bought a set of trim tools at Harbor Freight that work great. You can usually just push them back in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used a small flathead screwdriver to pop the middle part out but you then need to be careful pulling out the rest of the rivet. Those trim tools will be a good investment.

Is there an easy way to get replacements for the grill?

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
The plastic push pins and rivets can be bought at multiple places. Most auto parts stores sell generic parts that kinda maybe sorta work. I go to one of the MOPAR online parts websites and look up the part number and then go to Clips and Fasteners website and buy quality parts, like a 50 pack for $6, some more, some less. You can also look on Amazon with the part number. Over the last few years I have gotten most of the plastic push pins and rivets for the Jeep and now just replace each one I need to remove with new ones.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I used a small pry bar. Worked great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts