Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont tell me all the safety stuff about the importance of having one. Is it a couple of screws to take out or how does it work?

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Why do you wanna remove it?

And just get out there and look where it sits in the tub. Your gonna have to do that anyway when you remove it. Someone telling you is just as effective as you going out to the Jeep and looking

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Having the windshield down is likely illegal onroad, but you just remove two bolts on the outer sides to fold that down. Take it off the hinges to fully take it off. If I was you and liked the classic look, I would remove the two bars that are to the left and right of your head, above the doors, and put the windshield down. This way it has the classic one bar in the rear look, but still has a chance of saving your life in a rollover.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
unlimitedlj04 said:
remember...you won't have any seat belts....and you're gonna die.

Good luck.
x2.

Hold on to that steering wheel tight.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
IWANNAOFFROAD said:
You mean like this?
This is what I was thinking, because at least you would have seat belts and half of a roll cage, but pleasee don't do it. Windshield is fine, but you need that cage

·
Registered
31 Posts
jeepwayoflife said:
Having the windshield down is likely illegal onroad.
It was legal in Ohio. I had a 74 cj5 and the state troopers said it was no problem. I believe they said I had to have eye protection. For me I couldn't go over 50 though. I caught a few bugs to the face and decided a rock from a truck would really make me unhappy.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
IWANNAOFFROAD said:
I wonder if you can remove the curved part in the back?
As cool as the CJ7 roll cages looked, hacking off the rear of your cage isn't the right way to do this. The middle hoop needs support.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
IWANNAOFFROAD said:
I wonder if you can remove the curved part in the back?
Taking the cage out is a bad idea. Unless you plan on putting a better one in. Over all. Leave the cage alone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I say do what you want and let Darwin sort it out. I hope he knows the dangers of removing the cage and at that point it's his decision. We've all made modifications to our rigs before. Who is to say his personal preference is wrong? Would I do it? No. But I have wheeled a CJ5 with only a light bar, "roll cage". Only be as stupid and you feel comfortable. That's my motto. Oh, and don't let anyone borrow it if you make it unsafe.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I say do what you want and let Darwin sort it out. I hope he knows the dangers of removing the cage and at that point it's his decision. We've all made modifications to our rigs before. Who is to say his personal preference is wrong? Would I do it? No. But I have wheeled a CJ5 with only a light bar, "roll cage". Only be as stupid and you feel comfortable. That's my motto. Oh, and don't let anyone borrow it if you make it unsafe.
This.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I'm going to be taking mine out, but putting a much more stable one in, leaning towards GenRight or Posion Spyder. Not sure which though as I'm back on forth on them. And yes I agree with GPDude. Let him do what he wants, but I'd feel guilty if I told him how to take out the roll bar and something happens :(

1 - 20 of 34 Posts