Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,977 Posts
I believe those are plastic rivets and no real way to salvage them. I drilled the center out to remove mine.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Use a small screwdriver or knife to pry out the center pin then you should be able to pull the outer part out. If that is the fastener I think it is.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I think you can push the center pin in until it "clicks". Then pull the fastener out. Once out push the center pin all the way through. To reuse push the outside part in where you want it then insert the center pin and push it in until it is flush.

·
Premium Member
6,897 Posts
Yes, push the center pin in about 1/8" and it will make a click sound. Then grab the outer ring and pull the whole assembly out. Once it is removed, push the center pin from the bottom so that it protrudes 1/4" or so above the outer ring. When you are ready to reinstall it push the whole assembly into the hole and then push the center pin flush with the rest.

·
Super Moderator
21,977 Posts
I guess when I saw the photo I thought it was the bottom of the fender flair, my mistake.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,008 Posts
Use a small screwdriver or knife to pry out the center pin then you should be able to pull the outer part out. If that is the fastener I think it is.
^^^This is correct..:thumb:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Yes, push the center pin in about 1/8" and it will make a click sound. Then grab the outer ring and pull the whole assembly out. Once it is removed, push the center pin from the bottom so that it protrudes 1/4" or so above the outer ring. When you are ready to reinstall it push the whole assembly into the hole and then push the center pin flush with the rest.

I have to try this thanks. I"ve broken many!

·
Super Moderator
21,977 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,977 Posts
Yes, it's on the front fender flare. I'll try all the suggestions first. If all else fails I'll just cut or drill it.
it is a rivet then and the center pin is already pulled out which is why the other end is mushroomed. Not saying it is impossible to reuse them but I sure could never do it. They are not the same as pushpin retainers. they are an actual rivet. If you look at the center pin closely you can see it has been cut flush. ie the pin has been pulled tight to mushroom the other end then cut flush.

·
Registered
687 Posts
it is a rivet then and the center pin is already pulled out which is why the other end is mushroomed. Not saying it is impossible to reuse them but I sure could never do it. They are not the same as pushpin retainers. they are an actual rivet. If you look at the center pin closely you can see it has been cut flush. ie the pin has been pulled tight to mushroom the other end then cut flush.
You're right, odds are he won't be able to reuse them, it would be hit or miss. But the pliers worked a whole lot better than a screw driver did for me taking them out.

·
RETIRED MODERATER
35,008 Posts
Yes, it's on the front fender flare. I'll try all the suggestions first. If all else fails I'll just cut or drill it.
^^^Since them are located on the fenders, then yes, they need to be drilled out, or cut off!!!
Two different type fasteners. The other type are used on the radiator cover and air dam.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts