Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the dashboard panel (because I am swapping out my beige interior to a gray) and I noticed that the VIN is attached to that.

I bought a used panel off ebay and obviously don't want to leave the old vin on it, but I am not sure how to get it off gently. I don't plan on selling, but if i do someday if the vin looks like it has been messed with that would probably be a red flag to prospective buyers.

Anyone ever swap one out and have suggestions?

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
There are plenty of very scary federal laws about tampering with vin tags and even doing so with honest intentions could get you in big trouble....

Probably a safer bet to paint the dash and put it back in.....

That said, are you sure it's not attached to the tub under the dash?

·
Registered
15,636 Posts
I would at least consider replacing original vin by something like drill back of rivet then use punch to drive out the replace original rivets with dab of epoxy on back end of rivet

Will look perfect and no one will charge you for mounting correct vin to new dash

Otherwise you may have an issue like this guy's police report

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=co3U8oY_pa4

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
The star rivets for a vin tag are controlled and not legally available to the public

Contact your state police, tell them what you want to do and see if they can help.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You can buy all sorts of things in all sorts of places......
Doesn't make it legal

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts