Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does one go about finding the right fitment for their Jeep?

If I decide to go for a 2.5" budget boost, what size tire and wheel would work?

All the numbers, ex. P225/75R16 104S, what does all that mean?

If I want 33" tires, would I get 17" wheels?

:atomic:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Figure out what you like. Look at pictures, ask people you see (we all love talking about our Jeeps), and go from there. Will also depend on what you use it for, the wheel / tire setup I would recommend for a mall crawler will be different from a Jeep that actually sees offroad.

P225/75R16 104S.
P is P-metric, in this case a 4-ply tire.
225 means 225 millimeters, or the width of the tire at it's widest point.
75 means the height of the sidewall is 75% as tall as the tire is wide.
R means Radial.
16 is the size of the wheel, a 16" in this case.
104S is the service description. 104 is the load capacity of the tire, in this case 1984 lbs, and S is the speed rating, means this tire is rated up to 112 mph

You can get 33" tires for any size wheel. Pick what you like. 17, 18, 20, 22".
You could also fit 35" tires under a 2.5" lift if you want to. Just have to watch offset.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
How does one go about finding the right fitment for their Jeep?

If I decide to go for a 2.5" budget boost, what size tire and wheel would work?

All the numbers, ex. P225/75R16 104S, what does all that mean?

If I want 33" tires, would I get 17" wheels?

:atomic:
The tire size you decide to run is really up to you! You can run 33's with stock suspension. You can run even run 35's with a stock suspension or a small Leveling Kit or trimmed fenders. Take a look at some pictures and see what look you like!

You can really run whatever size tires you like on any size Wheels. You will want to match up the tire width to the wheel width. Most tires will have a minimum width wheel they should be mounted on.

Let me know what other questions you have or if you'd like a quote on anything!

-Ryan

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Tire size is independent of rim size. Best practical choices for rim size are 16" and 17". You can fit up a to 35" tire (without using a crow bar to cram it in :) ) with a 2.5" lift.

Read the stickies at the top of the forum for technical information and the Picture forum for tons of pictures of lifted Jeeps with every possible rim and tire combination.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts