Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

How to start off-roading?

2K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  rshirv 
#1 ·
I bought my first Jeep this past September (2015 Wrangler Sport 2DR).
It's a stock Jeep at the moment..I'm trying to save up for some wheels and tires, mods etc.
I want to start off roading too..I just don't know how..

Any suggestions on wheel and tire sizes? Lift height? Things I need to do before getting off road?

I live in Ontario Canada..so if you also have any suggestions of places to venture out to, let me know :)

#2 ·
Welcome! Go offroad FIRST before you start throwing money and parts at it. You may find you dont need what you think you do. Join a local Jeep club. Also may be some folks down on the local forums section here who would wheel with you.

Requirements for first time offroad: Get some recovery gear, an airdown tool and compressor, fill the gas tank - and have fun!

#5 ·
Welcome! Go offroad FIRST before you start throwing money and parts at it. You may find you dont need what you think you do. Join a local Jeep club. Also may be some folks down on the local forums section here who would wheel with you.

Requirements for first time offroad: Get some recovery gear, an airdown tool and compressor, fill the gas tank - and have fun!
Definitely this.

Also, Find some fire roads or truck trails and just have some fun. Before I put the leveling kit and tires on my sport, I took it out to the desert and just had some fun out there. They can do so much stock. And I had the small 16" steel wheels.

Oh and also let someone know where you're going to be if you're going alone.

#3 ·
You don't need any mods to start.

Find legal placed in your area, explore and take it slow. Think about what worked and what didn't and plan your mods from there.

Absolute best way to get introduced is to find a local club and join in on one of their runs. You'll learn a ton on the first trip and likely see how a variety of mods perform.

#6 ·
The best place to practice is right in front of your house ... If you have a house with a front yard and grass then you could practice there..

1. Drive very slowly to the front curb, stop and put the Jeep in 4HI and try to climb over the curb onto your front lawn.
2. Stop the Jeep put it into REVERSE and drive off your front lawn.
3. Drive up to the curb but this time put the Jeep in 4LO and drive up the curb onto your grass.

Once you mastered on 4HI / 4LO you are pretty much good to go :)

Lessons Learned:
1. If you can't climb over your curb onto your lawn , then proceed to BIGGER tires/lift

Extra Credit:
1. Do the exact things above , but with the TOP OFF :)

Congrats on the Jeep !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#8 ·
When I was a kid and started downhill (ski) racing they always as a rule made us walk up the course before going down.

I don't think this is any different with starting off-road - walk over what you want to drive over, understand the terrain - then yeah drive over it only once you have a good understanding of how you vehicle performs.

When you have that knowledge you can start driving into whatever based on your past knowledge and experience.

#10 ·
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

You don't need any MODS, to go off road.
Jeep Wranglers are very capable for off road, right out of the factory.
They will take you places that you never dreamed of, with out any MODS.

It's important that you get the feel of your Wrangler off road, before MODS. Understand what it's stock capabilities will, or will not do.
There will always be time to add MODS, if needed!!!!!!!!!

#11 ·
Agree with all the above.

I finally got out to a local area with lots of trails and I was able to do easy and moderate trails w/o issues. We even ran a few 'easier' sections of difficult trails. I have a JKUSport with no mods or tires.

Try to find someone who is familiar with the local area that you can go with. The regional section of the forum are also good for meeting up with people in your area.

...and welcome.

M.

#12 ·
All great comments. Join a club. Take some trips to determine what type of trails you prefer and mod accordingly. I guarantee your stock Jeep will out perform your pucker factor.

#16 ·
All good comments. Please remember to tread lightly and keep your thumbs out of the holes in the steering wheel - if the steering wheel kicks back violently while offroad you can hurt/ break your thumb. Good luck and have fun!

#17 ·
My first Jeeping excursion was in a completely stock Sport 2-door with the stock SR-A's, 3.21 highway gears, fully connected and fully aired up.

Honestly, I couldn't believe how capable it was even in 100% stock form. We were crawling up rock strewn trails, driving up wet rock slabs, crossing streams, climbing through washed out trails, throwing mud up all over the place...it was such an awesome experience to see that my 100% stock JK was capable enough to go places I never dreamed it would be capable of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.