Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard a lot about the death wobble that can happen to Jeeps. But I haven't read anything about what you do to stop it once it starts up? Do you have to come to a complete stop or just get below a certain speed?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
If it is true death wobble as opposed to random shimmies and shakes, the ONLY way to stop the resonance is to come to a complete stop.

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
If it just requires slowing down to a lower speed it is a wobble but not "Death Wobble".
The steps required to resolve the two different issues are similar but different. So it is key to understand the true nature of your wobble first.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
"They" say..... True DW is stopped by slowing down OR speeding up to disrupt the oscillation frequency that causes DW.

I want to meet the Guy that speeds up..... Just to talk to Him and maybe have him committed or at least join my team :)

·
Retired Moderator
100,585 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
Sorry, didn't mean to imply I have had the death wobble. Just wanted to know how to stop it if I ever do.

Thanks.
If it is real "Death Wobb;e" you need to come to a stop to get it to stop. If it is something else it usually either goes away on it's own or it goes away if you slow down.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Most importantly, do not fear it. Fear is the path to the dark side.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I have had it pretty bad, used to start at 40-45mph. It would stop if i slowed down to roughly 15mph, didnt need a complete stop. As @RubiconSS says, "They" (Chrysler/Fiat is who i have seen make this claim) say that you can speed up OR slow down...yea ill choose slowing down lol.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
"They" say..... True DW is stopped by slowing down OR speeding up to disrupt the oscillation frequency that causes DW.

I want to meet the Guy that speeds up..... Just to talk to Him and maybe have him committed or at least join my team :)

Funny how we're now trying to classify "True" Death Wobble and "Wobble" as different items which may or may not have the same root cause.

Yeah...that makes things as clear as mud. Sounds like something the dealership would say to you as excuse to not fix it. "The recall covers 'True' death wobble....not that fake death wobble you're experiencing".

I sped up and slowed down to stop my DW....but apparently I may not have had "True" DW.

Alls I know is that as I was on the highway and when I reached about 45MPH my steering wheel started shaking like crazy and when I slowed down to 35MPH it would stop shaking. On the 3rd time it happened to me, I decided to see what would happen if I sped up, and found it also went away at around 55MPH. Since I was on a express way with a speed limit of 70MPH and needed to get to work, guess which direction I decided to go for it to stop shaking? When I reached about 45MPH, I laid on the gas to get past 55MPH as quick as I could.

But....I guess that wasn't "true" death wobble, it was something else where the steering was resonating at a harmonic frequency between the speeds of 45-55MPH and it looked/felt like everything else I've seen called Death Wobble. Unsure what they call it when it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and acts like a duck. Apparently it's not a duck. ;)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Many years ago, driving over railroad tracks at speed would bring on the DW. Usually had to stop.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I don't know that anybody is trying to delineate wobble vs DW. Certainly I'm not. Wobble that impinges on safety or enjoyment is unacceptable. Period, How's that for a distinction with a meaning?

Driving a Jeep down the road should not be an exercise in risk.

Period. Hard Stop.

And just to add. None of it is Funny. Not even a little.

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
Trying to determine if you have a speed related wobble vs a play related wobble is not minimizing either problem. But is is useful in resolving the problem as the two different forms of wobble typically have two different paths towards resolving the problem. And that is the goal, right?

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I don't know that anybody is trying to delineate wobble vs DW. Certainly I'm not. Wobble that impinges on safety or enjoyment is unacceptable. Period, How's that for a distinction with a meaning?

Driving a Jeep down the road should not be an exercise in risk.

Period. Hard Stop.

And just to add. None of it is Funny. Not even a little.

I'm not saying anything is funny about it. I'm just saying some saying you have to come to a complete stop for the shaking to stop happening for it to be "true" death wobble sounds like made up nonsense. Even in the video of the link provided from Planman of what he called death wobble, the shaking stopped prior to the Jeep coming to a complete stop. That's exactly what I experienced. I know the difference between there being a "wobble" in my steering and violently shaking due to components being in a resonant frequency.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I experienced what I believe to be true death wobble on the highway. When I hit around 60 mph the front end shook so violently it felt worse than driving down railroad tracks over the railroad ties. It only stopped when I pulled over to the breakdown lane and came to a complete stop. When I started up again and got near 60 mph it began again so I eased off the gas and was able to continue my trip albeit at a much slower speed.

I have experienced a wheel shimmy in a vehicle before but this was a shimmy on steroids. Not something that I would wish to experience again without a change of shorts.

Based on all of the great advice here I plan to do a complete inspection of my front end as well as a wheel alignment and wheel balance.

I just did Rancho 5000 shocks all around this weekend and have a steering stabilizer arriving tomorrow.

I think that rotors and pads may be in my future as well so hopefully it will not involve ball joints as well.

Oh well, the joys of buying a 10 year old vehicle. :pullinghair:

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
I experienced what I believe to be true death wobble on the highway. When I hit around 60 mph the front end shook so violently it felt worse than driving down railroad tracks over the railroad ties. It only stopped when I pulled over to the breakdown lane and came to a complete stop. When I started up again and got near 60 mph it began again so I eased off the gas and was able to continue my trip albeit at a much slower speed.

I have experienced a wheel shimmy in a vehicle before but this was a shimmy on steroids. Not something that I would wish to experience again without a change of shorts.

Based on all of the great advice here I plan to do a complete inspection of my front end as well as a wheel alignment and wheel balance.

I just did Rancho 5000 shocks all around this weekend and have a steering stabilizer arriving tomorrow.

I think that rotors and pads may be in my future as well so hopefully it will not involve ball joints as well.

Oh well, the joys of buying a 10 year old vehicle. :pullinghair:
I would watch the video's in the thread @Old Dogger posted the link to.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/...fixing-non-dw-shimmies-and-wobbles-78034.html
And that does sound like DW. A new steering damper will not fix it. Look for play in the front end. How many miles on your 10 year old Jeep?

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
At my recent oil change it was 41,600. I may have put 100 miles on since then. This is a daily driver and not a mud slinger or rock climber. My only off road driving is an occasional dirt road at my gun club.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I disagree on the you have to stop if it's true DW.

I have recently had to fix what I called DW. It certainly felt like DW, it acted like DW and it was plain scary. At around 50 MPH, hit a sharp bump and the Jeep tried to kill me. However, when I slowed down to about 10 MPH, I could get it to stop. I didn't have to stop but I had to come damn close to stopping.

Bad Track bar bushing and axle side front mount hole was wallowed out, Ball Joints were also shot. Running 37's so I wasn't surprised the ball joints were shot but apparently the track bar bolt got loose after my last wheeling trip and I missed it in my pre trip inspection. After beating it up on the trails that fateful day, getting home became an all night task for a normally 2 hour trip.

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
I disagree on the you have to stop if it's true DW.

I have recently had to fix what I called DW. It certainly felt like DW, it acted like DW and it was plain scary. At around 50 MPH, hit a sharp bump and the Jeep tried to kill me. However, when I slowed down to about 10 MPH, I could get it to stop. I didn't have to stop but I had to come damn close to stopping.

Bad Track bar bushing and axle side front mount hole was wallowed out, Ball Joints were also shot. Running 37's so I wasn't surprised the ball joints were shot but apparently the track bar bolt got loose after my last wheeling trip and I missed it in my pre trip inspection. After beating it up on the trails that fateful day, getting home became an all night task for a normally 2 hour trip.
My take is you have to stop or nearly stop. Just slowing down to 40 mph from 50 or 60 isn't typically going to stop it. I think the key is determining if it is a speed related wobble or not. DW isn't a speed related wobble, and it is caused by different factors than speed related wobbles.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts