Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need ideas on how to stop rust on my jeep frame. Jeep was a originally from NY. I wouldn't say the frame is gone or damage yet but if I don't do something now it will be. Jeep is a 2001 sport with 86k. It did ALOT of sitting. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me re-phrase this question. How long does it take to remove the tub? Mind you I have a 2 post lift and a full shop.

·
Registered
445 Posts
KBS Coatings works pretty well do, its a 3 step process, I did mine w/o a lift and it was PITA with a lift and full shop should be pretty easy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As much as I would love to spray POR15...The one thing we dont have is supplied air respirator. Dont know if it is true but I heard that is some nasty crap to spray. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I was told this by a guy who owns a body shop down the road who when he started never wore a respirator and sometimes still doesnt (not the brightest guy) so I took him kind of serious. Really I need to know how long it takes to remove the tub and front cap as I already know what needs to be done but lack ambition.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
i'd use a wire wheel and grind out all the frame surface rust, then use a shop vac attached to some rubber tubing to vacuum out the inside of the frame. Then coat the inside of the frame with Eastwoods internal frame coating followed by coating the outside using POR-15, you can apply POR-15 with a brush so that solves your issues with spraying.

·
Registered
445 Posts
^might be a dumb question but your talking about grinding the outside of the frame right? I'm thinking about doing in the side rails as I already did the majority of the exterior, could you show a pic of this vacuum attachment?

Thanks

·
Registered
313 Posts
por 15 that's what im using on my tub today I may take some pictures and do a write up before and after later today

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
^might be a dumb question but your talking about grinding the outside of the frame right? I'm thinking about doing in the side rails as I already did the majority of the exterior, could you show a pic of this vacuum attachment?

Thanks

Yes, I was suggesting that the o.p. remove all the exterior frame rust he can see before applying the POR15. On the vacuum attachment just get a 2 foot long piece of 3/8 rubber tubing then attach it to the end of your shop vac nozzle using duct tape to seal the tubing to the shop vac. Cut the end of the tubing on a 45 degree angle to improve the ability to grab rust from the inside of the frame. You can also use rifle barrel cleaning wire brushes and rods to really scrape the inside of the frame prior to vacuuming.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
As much as I would love to spray POR15...The one thing we dont have is supplied air respirator. Dont know if it is true but I heard that is some nasty crap to spray. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I was told this by a guy who owns a body shop down the road who when he started never wore a respirator and sometimes still doesnt (not the brightest guy) so I took him kind of serious. Really I need to know how long it takes to remove the tub and front cap as I already know what needs to be done but lack ambition.
It took my son and I a day to strip his TJ to the frame. That was also stripping EVERYTHING from the tub. Just be sure to lable where all fasteners and connections go. Here is how we restored his frame.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/tub-replacement-and-restoration-255830.html

Thanks
Here's mine.

ForumRunner_20130814_123507.jpg

·
Registered
445 Posts
What kinda drill were you guys using? I picked up a Titanium 3/8" bit and was using a battery powered drill and was barely making a dent.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
If you use cutting/drilling fluid and run a pilot hole at 1/8" first, then use a step bit (with fluid, like rapid tap) to get to your 3/8" it'll be like cutting through butter.

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
You will need a drill that has variable speed so that you can run it slow while drilling. You will need a bit that is rated for metal. Add cutting oil every few seconds to keep the bit and metal cool. If you overheat the bit or metal you are essentially hardening or tempering it making the task very difficult.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Let me re-phrase this question. How long does it take to remove the tub? Mind you I have a 2 post lift and a full shop.
find a write up for a body lift, same procedure to lift the body up far enough to coat the frame via roller or brush..... I would wire wheel as much as possible, then use por 15 or comparable product

·
Registered
441 Posts
there is no need to fully remove the tub from the frame just lift it up 2"s and youll be golden

1 - 20 of 21 Posts