Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Buy a whole set of torx bits for a ratchet. You'll need em eventually anyway and they're cheaper in sets. They're pretty cheap.

Those are special bolts too. Don't lose them if you don't want to. I threw mine away. They're totally unneccessary, but they will make it harder to steal your doors.

Once you get the bolts out, getting the doors off might be another challenge. I was able to just soak them with RemOil and then pull really hard on mine. Some folks' doors really get stuck on there good. Which would be a good thing for door theft if you never take them off.

Either way, once they're off, lube them up good. I just use RemOil (made for guns, in a spray can. walmart or any gun shop has it)

·
Registered
406 Posts
You will thank me later... and no offense michiganadam, but RemOil is sort of the 'bottom of the barrel' for fire arms lube.

Get this:

Seriously good stuff...

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You will thank me later... and no offense michiganadam, but RemOil is sort of the 'bottom of the barrel' for fire arms lube.

Get this:

Seriously good stuff...
Why is remoil bottom of the barrel (LOL) and how much does that stuff cost and why is it so much better? It seems like it works about as well as PB blaster/liquid wrench for getting things unstuck. I use it more on my car than guns most of the time.

I use a gun grease on my semi auto slides by the way.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Why is remoil bottom of the barrel (LOL) and how much does that stuff cost and why is it so much better? It seems like it works about as well as PB blaster/liquid wrench for getting things unstuck. I use it more on my car than guns most of the time.

I use a gun grease on my semi auto slides by the way.

RemOil evaporates very quickly. It's just cheap and for guns, provides very little protection.
Ballistol isn't very expensive but is an amazing lubricant that lasts a long time.
There are others that are similar but Ballistol is my personal favorite.

Grease is great for a semi auto slide. I still use Ballistol, but grease is great. I'd use it on your jeep hinges too.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've always used RemOil on my weapons (even in the USMC) and never had an issue. I wouldnt use it on my Jeep. I don't like "super lubricated" weapons so it suits my purposes. Just my .02¢

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Seriously. I double checked when I went and got it. Thats what I use and it works perfectly!
Something is up with your bolts....:confused: Standard is a T-50 Do you have aftermarket bolts?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Something is up with your bolts....:confused: Standard is a T-50 Do you have aftermarket bolts?
or something is up with his wrench.

For some reason i doubt aftermarket bolts are even available? Maybe they changed the size of them for a couple months, like they did with the mirror stems?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Should be T50 for the doors as others have said.

I use white lithium grease on my hinges. Is that ok?

If you are really worried about door theft, they make nuts that are like the locking ones for wheels.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
if youre worried about door theft do like i do and put em in storage all summer!!!

White lithium should be great in the hinges. I even use that stuff in bicycle wheel bearings. The only thing that could go wrong with white lithium is getting it on yourself when handling the door....big deal.

·
Registered
406 Posts
if youre worried about door theft do like i do and put em in storage all summer!!!

White lithium should be great in the hinges. I even use that stuff in bicycle wheel bearings. The only thing that could go wrong with white lithium is getting it on yourself when handling the door....big deal.
Two things I'm curious about

1) door theft: is it common? If you're door is locked, don't they have to defeat that too in addition to the bolts?

2) What is bad about white lithium? Is it poisonous? (Never used it myself but may start)

·
Registered
821 Posts
1) door theft: is it common? If you're door is locked, don't they have to defeat that too in addition to the bolts?

It's not something I ever worry about. I've decided the T50 bolts stay out all summer for me. (in a ziplock bag not the cute storage holes in the back were they will fly out). It seems like I read a post a good while ago where a guy got locked out, it must have been a hard top, and he took the bolts off to get in. The only way I see that happening is if he was talking about the hinges, or was full of BS. If they are that motivated you'd be lucky they didn't hot wire it and drive off

2) What is bad about white lithium? Is it poisonous? (Never used it myself but may start)

They sell it all over the place, so I doubt it's that bad. It's in the maintenance schedule to use on the door hinges and seats. My doors got real hard to pull off after winter. After a shot of white lithium they slide off effortlessly. I highly recommend getting some. I got it in a spray, but in a tube would likely work good too.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Door theft isn't "common" but its not unheard of either. And it's $1000 a pair to buy a used pair. I do nothing about it whatsoever. I don't even use those bolts. I keep my doors in storage all summer because i run soft doors in the summer..... those are still $400 a pair, lol.

I don't see how you'd take the doors off to get in a locked jeep. Door locks are real easy to defeat. Especially on a soft top.

Nothing is bad about white lithium. It's cheap as hell and it works great on anything that doesnt require a special grease. Don't use it in cv joints and wheel bearings and you're good. It's really slick and sort of thin. I used to use it in transmissions in RC cars. They even have it in spray cans.

It's a pain in the ass to wash it out of your clothes, thats all. Like most other greases.

That's why i use a gun lube, gun lubes are generally colorless or almost colorless and washout fairly easily. Cause when you have a CCW and wear a gun every day, it'd suck if it ruined your clothes. Guns are traditionally covered in lube.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts