Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna go look at some supposedly aftermarket alloy axles for a dana 30, guy got them in a front end from another buddy, but they can't remember the manufaturer.
So, I'm kinda skeptical and just want to make sure they are truly alloy aftermarket axles. Is there anyway to tell just by looking at them?
Thanks for any help you guys can give me...
Brian

·
Knows a couple things...
48,998 Posts
First, insure the outer stub shafts are part of the set. It would make no sense to have alloy inners and carbon steel outers.

It's not easy to tell alloy from carbon steel but front alloy axle shafts should have extra machining present to allow the use of full circle u-joint clips that snap into the yoke ears outside of the u-joint bearing cap to help keep it seated during more strenuous wheeling.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I just went through this. Wheni got my front shaft out i saw that it had an alloy usa u joint. If is was bought in a kit i would think it would have the matching u-joint.

·
Registered
719 Posts
O WOW CTM is very expensive. Its hard to tell myself to get the USA alloy joint over the spicer. I cant see getting the CTM ever!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First, insure the outer stub shafts are part of the set. It would make no sense to have alloy inners and carbon steel outers.

It's not easy to tell alloy from carbon steel but front alloy axle shafts should have extra machining present to allow the use of full circle u-joint clips that snap into the yoke ears outside of the u-joint bearing cap to help keep it seated during more strenuous wheeling.
Yes the outers are there. I will do my best to insure they are not a stock axle. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looked at the axles, they have spicer joints and are machined across the entire axle shaft...I was told they are alloy USA brand. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks guys!

·
Knows a couple things...
48,998 Posts
Generally speaking, like above, an upgraded alloy shaft will always have it's brand name displayed prominently on its wheel mounting flange which would be visible through the wheel's hub opening. That includes Alloy USA, G2, Superior Axle, Ten Factory, etc.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't recall seeing anything on the end, but if it's only a sticker that could come off....I guess I would have to take this guys word for it...I just have an uneasy feeling they are not aftermarket chromoly axles. He's asking 200.00 which seems kinda low for aftermarket.
Decisions decisions...

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
My Alloy usa front dhafts had some kind of ribbing running downvthe lenghth of the shaft that my stock ones did not have. Also the ears of the shaft are machines differently from stock. Best I can say is take your stock axles and compare the ear to spot differences.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Post a pic of the front stub shafts. I just had mine out. Mabye I will be able to tell (most likely not but mabye)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, I'll post a pic of them tomorrow night. I hope they aren't stock with spicer joints!

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
not sure if you still need this....
looks like my stock shafts have a casting on the yoke ears where the Alloy USA shafts do not.

Does the Alloy USA shaft have small ribbing going down the shaft or is it smooth?

·
Registered
719 Posts
You should be able to feel the lathe marks going down the shaft. Also when clean you can see the lathe marks.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I looks like the (dust ring) is missing from the alloy stub shafts. Mine has them on it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I can see in the pic the lathe marks. I would say those are alloy usa shafts!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts