Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in April I purchased 4 new tires and wheels from Tire Rack. They came mounted and balanced with new TPMS sensors and all worked well until about 2 weeks ago. My low tire light came on. Checked all of the tires and they were good but I put a bit of air in them anyhow. The door sticker says to run at 37 psi, but I had good luck with the tires at 32 psi for several months so I don't think it was the slightly lower pressure that did it. I now have 35 psi in them but the light is still on so I'm guessing one of the sensors is bad, possibly the spare since it is still original. How can I tell which one is setting off the light? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Did you drive at least 7 miles after filling the air up to 35? It can take that long for it to auto-reset. If that doesn't work, I would try filling them up to the spec'ed 37, and drive another 7 miles.

If that still fails, you can go to a tire place and have them check the sensors. They should have a scanner that can verify each of the TMPS sensors are working properly.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
X2 with Walt. The spare is only read when it's mounted as a road wheel. If the sensor in a spare is defective you only know when it's mounted and used. It sounds like it's a pressure issue. Running 32 lbs. when the door jamb indicates 37, you're on the edge of a TPMS light. The threshold is usually anywhere from 3-7 lbs. under the door jamb it will activate. It can take a few on/off cycles driving anywhere from 5-20 miles or minutes depending on the distance for the light to go off. If you are regularly running low pressure a Procal or Flashcal can be used to lower the TPMS threshold and you won't get the light. Right now at 32 you're always on the edge of plus or minus 1 lb. If airing up for a few days (37) does take care of it the tire shop should have the tool that can check if each sensor is functioning like Walt mentioned. This is what the book indicates, sometimes it takes longer sometimes it doesn't. "Driving the vehicle for up to 20 minutes above 15 mph (25 km/h) will turn OFF the “Tire Pressure Monitoring Telltale Light” as long as none of the road tires are below the low pressure warning threshold". Prior to disabling TPMS when my pressure hit 33 lbs on my Rubicon, door jamb 37, the light activated. The ranges sometimes vary.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Back in April I purchased 4 new tires and wheels from Tire Rack. They came mounted and balanced with new TPMS sensors and all worked well until about 2 weeks ago. My low tire light came on. Checked all of the tires and they were good but I put a bit of air in them anyhow. The door sticker says to run at 37 psi, but I had good luck with the tires at 32 psi for several months so I don't think it was the slightly lower pressure that did it. I now have 35 psi in them but the light is still on so I'm guessing one of the sensors is bad, possibly the spare since it is still original. How can I tell which one is setting off the light? Thanks!
Since your rig is older, I'm assuming you don't have the digital readout that shows the error message ("Check TPMS System" vs "Low Pressure"). I'd inflate them all to 37psi, drive around like that for about 10 miles and see if that works. If it doesn't, you probably have a battery going low. If it does, you can air back down. The TPMS sensors don't trip until 30.

I've got a different problem - mine comes on and says "Check TPMS System" - probably a dying battery.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since your rig is older, I'm assuming you don't have the digital readout that shows the error message ("Check TPMS System" vs "Low Pressure"). I'd inflate them all to 37psi, drive around like that for about 10 miles and see if that works. If it doesn't, you probably have a battery going low. If it does, you can air back down. The TPMS sensors don't trip until 30.

I've got a different problem - mine comes on and says "Check TPMS System" - probably a dying battery.
You are correct, mine is a 2010 and doesn't tell me much. I'll try your suggestion. If that doesn't work, I guess I"ll have to take it to a tire shop and see if they can detect which one. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
X2 with Walt. The spare is only read when it's mounted as a road wheel. If the sensor in a spare is defective you only know when it's mounted and used. It sounds like it's a pressure issue. Running 32 lbs. when the door jamb indicates 37, you're on the edge of a TPMS light. The threshold is usually anywhere from 3-7 lbs. under the door jamb it will activate. It can take a few on/off cycles driving anywhere from 5-20 miles or minutes depending on the distance for the light to go off. If you are regularly running low pressure a Procal or Flashcal can be used to lower the TPMS threshold and you won't get the light. Right now at 32 you're always on the edge of plus or minus 1 lb. If airing up for a few days (37) does take care of it the tire shop should have the tool that can check if each sensor is functioning like Walt mentioned. This is what the book indicates, sometimes it takes longer sometimes it doesn't. "Driving the vehicle for up to 20 minutes above 15 mph (25 km/h) will turn OFF the “Tire Pressure Monitoring Telltale Light” as long as none of the road tires are below the low pressure warning threshold". Prior to disabling TPMS when my pressure hit 33 lbs on my Rubicon, door jamb 37, the light activated. The ranges sometimes vary.
This is good info, thanks. I'll air 'em all up to 37 and see what happens. I was assuming it was a bad sensor because it worked so well at 32 for so long. It had gotten a bit colder out when the light came on.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
This is good info, thanks. I'll air 'em all up to 37 and see what happens. I was assuming it was a bad sensor because it worked so well at 32 for so long. It had gotten a bit colder out when the light came on.
Yeah, 32 psi + Cold < 30 psi. I was running 33 psi @ 70 degrees, and one nice 40 degree morning randomly rolled around, put me at about 28. The TPMS warns at 30 and resets at 35, so I pumped it a little over to 37, ran around a bit to get the light off, then aired back down to my preferred 33.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Yeah, 32 psi + Cold < 30 psi. I was running 33 psi @ 70 degrees, and one nice 40 degree morning randomly rolled around, put me at about 28. The TPMS warns at 30 and resets at 35, so I pumped it a little over to 37, ran around a bit to get the light off, then aired back down to my preferred 33.
I wish my TPMS sensors activated at 30 instead of 33, door jamb pressure 37, I might not have disabled them. A few other owners I know with a door jamb pressure of 37 seemed to also activate at approx. 32-33lbs. Do you know if that's a result of the higher door jamb pressure of 37 as opposed to most other JK's with a door jamb pressure of 35?

·
Registered
299 Posts
need to go above 37 to reset light.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I wish my TPMS sensors activated at 30 instead of 33, door jamb pressure 37, I might not have disabled them. A few other owners I know with a door jamb pressure of 37 seemed to also activate at approx. 32-33lbs. Do you know if that's a result of the higher door jamb pressure of 37 as opposed to most other JK's with a door jamb pressure of 35?
Interesting. I didn't know there were 37's vs 35's. I'd imagine that it's probably a 5psi low margin. Re: the above, mine explicitly says "Inflate to 35" if I go too low.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
Interesting. I didn't know there were 37's vs 35's. I'd imagine that it's probably a 5psi low margin. Re: the above, mine explicitly says "Inflate to 35" if I go too low.
I believe Sports and Saharas are 35, and Rubicons are 37. There might be some special editions which might cause a difference from that.

My EVIC says "Inflate to 37" once triggered for an under pressure error. From my limited experience, and consistent with what others have mentioned, while it might allow pressure to drop to 30 or 33 before trigging, a reset might require full pressure restoration of 35 or 37.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
My Rubicon states 37psi on the door jamb, but I have to admit I prefer 35 or so, at least as far as the dash tells me.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The stock muds are 37 lbs. for Rubicons and other models that have the stock muds from the factory.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Islander had BFG Mud Terrains on it when we bought it. That is what the spare is also so I guess that's what it had on it from the factory. Door sticker says 37 lbs.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Let this be a lesson to those of you looking to buy a new Jeep. Always get the Connectivity Group. It is so much easier to diagnose a TP problem when you have individual tire pressure readout. When I got a nail in one of my tires, I knew exactly which tire to inspect. And this is just one reason the get the Connectivity Group.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Airing up to 37psi and driving for a bit did the trick! Thanks all. Now driving along at a comfortable 33psi with the light off. I think I need to get a ProCal sometime.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts