Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my '12 Unlimited the dealer asked if I wanted to retain the factory alarm system. When I asked the obvious question "why wouldn't I?" he said that it was an option and it would cost me $600 to have the programming activated. This sounded like complete BS to me so I said not to worry about it, quite frankly I think he was not too happy about the deal I'd pushed him into and was likely trying to gouge something from me. I also figured I'd get an aftermarket system installed at some point.

I am curious though, there must be a way to 're-activate' the alarm? The hardware is supposedly all there and the red light flashes on the dash when the car is locked. The panic alarm works as well, but the alarm does not go off like it's supposed to when a door is opened after being locked with the key toggle.

I'm guessing someone out there has figured this out before, or can at least point me in the right direction. My Jeep has EVIC, power windows and door locks as well as remote start if that matters at all.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
It was my understanding that any JK with power package, keyless, and remote start would have an alarm. I don't even know how to disable it. This sounds pretty shady to me since it sounds like they somehow disabled something that should have been included in the price you paid since it came from the factory with it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't think mine has an alarm in the traditional sense, I have a '13 with the power convenience group. It has the ignition bypass, but I've never noticed any blinking light indicated it is 'armed', and don't think there is anything that will sound or flash if a door is opened.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if mine is equipped with an alarm I either am oblivious to it or have no idea how to properly set it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the 2012 owners manual:
Silversport, thanks mate!

Well don't I feel dumb... Turns out that I do have the alarm installed and activated but I didn't know about the 16 second arming period so in testing I was cancelling it before it armed :facepalm:

I should have checked the manual before this but I just took the dealer at his word that it was 'deactivated', guess he was trying to pull a fast one! I'm pretty glad I didn't pay him the requested extra $600 for the 'option'. Shady.

Anyway, thanks for the solution!

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
No problem! Good call on your part not paying the extra $600 for an option you already had!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, yeah. That'd be the difference between me feeling a little dumb now and being on the news tomorrow for having had 'words' with my favorite dealer!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Alarm FAQ

Ok so am a dealer and i must register to this site A becasue i have a jeep and ive had multiple jeeps and i must deffend honest dealers across the country due to customers that have zero clue of what they are talking about. First off to begin chrysler has had the same Factory Alarm system since the 80's.. a factory alarm is nothing more then a active alarm system. that means when you close the door and lock it only the driver door will have a alarm sound go off when and only you hit the locking key fob, that being said when you purches a new car dealers are instructed to offer a Passive alarm and activate it. Like a aftermarket system that activates when you leave the car even if you donot touch the key fob. so now you know the diference, and honestly i wouldn't want a aftermarket alarm becasue i want the person splicing into my new harness to be responsible if something goes wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,914 Posts
Ok so am a dealer and i must register to this site A becasue i have a jeep and ive had multiple jeeps and i must deffend honest dealers across the country due to customers that have zero clue of what they are talking about. First off to begin chrysler has had the same Factory Alarm system since the 80's.. a factory alarm is nothing more then a active alarm system. that means when you close the door and lock it only the driver door will have a alarm sound go off when and only you hit the locking key fob, that being said when you purches a new car dealers are instructed to offer a Passive alarm and activate it. Like a aftermarket system that activates when you leave the car even if you donot touch the key fob. so now you know the diference, and honestly i wouldn't want a aftermarket alarm becasue i want the person splicing into my new harness to be responsible if something goes wrong.
Cool story. You signed up to defend the honor of dealers from a two year old post that no one would have seen had you not bumped it to the top?

·
Registered
302 Posts
That's what i think off customers lol.
I'll agree that there are a lot of not so knowledgable people (and ones who are) that will argue about the most ridiculous things, true or not.

But then, these "funny" customers your referring to, are the ones that provide you with your paycheck. That said, it may be wise to not disclose what dealer you work at. I'm sure you know how word of mouth will spread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'll agree that there are a lot of not so knowledgable people (and ones who are) that will argue about the most ridiculous things, true or not.

But then, these "funny" customers your referring to, are the ones that provide you with your paycheck. That said, it may be wise to not disclose what dealer you work at. I'm sure you know how word of mouth will spread.
I don't mind disclosing where i work I'm a straight shooter and my sales over The years have proven It and I've found that my customers love when i tell It how It is no beating around The Bush. Funny as in Need to be educated that's Why You see dealers For details. Im in customers side i hate sales Leone that misinform customers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts