Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running with my top off for most of the summer. Each day I drive to work I check the weather first to determine the probability for rain for the day. I have not been caught in the rain yet, but I'm sure it is just a matter of time.

My questions is, how waterproof is the Wrangler? If I got caught in the rain I know the seats and interior would all be fine, but what about the dash and the electrical components (radio, CD player, gauges, AC, switches, etc.)? Has anyone been drenched in their Wrangler and how did all the electrical components hold up?

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I think the stereo is splash proof so just don't shoot it with a hose and you'll be fine. All other electrical connections are waterproof

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got caught with my top off last night and it stormed... none of my dash's electrical components work this morning, and my windshield wipers were stuck on. A gentle rain will be fine... hard rain.. run and get that top on.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I got caught a few times in light rain and no prob. I think if its raining hardenuff to actally get INTO the dash there might be problems. My buddy got caught in a bad storm but had his bikini top on and other than a wet ass there was no damage whatsoever, so I would suggest at least have the bikini top handy.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've been caught in a couple of HEAVY thunderstorms with no top. One time, I had some electrical problems afterwards:

• cruise control stopped working
  • radio stopped working
  • horn would go off at random for LONG periods of time (that one isn't very fun when stuck in rush hour traffic!)
When I got home after about a half hour drive, I parked it in the garage and disconnected the battery. When I woke up the next morning, I reconnected the battery, and it was like nothing had ever happened. I guess everything dried out. That was about a year ago, and I've never had any problems since.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I know I need new stripping, but heavy rains this weekend, and my left foot got soaked by rain coming in from the door, and the right rear window was letting water pool on top of the rear fender.

The best part is, when water gets in, and the doors and top are on and the sun finally does come out, and then you get in the Jeep, it's like a steam bath...

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got caught with my top off last night and it stormed... none of my dash's electrical components work this morning, and my windshield wipers were stuck on.
Ouch! :eek: Really sorry to hear this.

Perhaps if you disconnect the battery, let it all dry out, then reconnect the battery like bdizz did above it will all start working again.

Let us know how it goes. I'm interested to hear how this turns out.

·
Registered
957 Posts
i drove in a downpour for over an hour doorless with just the front freedom panels on because rain was expected. was driving on the freeway, got some funny looks but it wasn't that bad lol.

·
Registered
185 Posts
They were designed to leak so I wouldn't worry about it.
Cant believe how obsessed you are with the Wrangler leaking. I feel sorry for you that this topic has obviously consumed you. Get a hobby dude. Try golf. Very therapeutic.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
It'll be fine. Just be sure to dry up whatever didn't drain. It hasn't rained in Texas foe months. The one night the weather man says it'll rain, I ignore and leave my safari top on. I woke up to find 4" of water on the floor boards. Popped the plugs and toweled up whatever was left behind. Dash was a little wet but everything worked fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Got caught in an absolute downpour today. Drove about 15 minutes in it, but was stopped waiting on traffic in front of me for quite awhile. A few inches of water in the floor boards was nothing the drain plugs didn't take care of. Sooooo glad I pulled my carpet in May!

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Zip said:
Cant believe how obsessed you are with the Wrangler leaking. I feel sorry for you that this topic has obviously consumed you. Get a hobby dude. Try golf. Very therapeutic.
Zip,

The guy isn't obsessed, he got it wet and was wondering what issues there may be. There is one user who lurks threads like these so he can comment on jeep's poor engineering. He doesn't even own a jeep. We are trying to convince him to wait TO INFINITY......AND BEYOND......to buy one though :). You'll probably know if (when) he posts!

·
Premium Member
4,934 Posts
Scratch that.......you were replying to him!

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
Zip,

The guy isn't obsessed, he got it wet and was wondering what issues there may be. There is one user who lurks threads like these so he can comment on jeep's poor engineering. He doesn't even own a jeep. We are trying to convince him to wait TO INFINITY......AND BEYOND......to buy one though :). You'll probably know if (when) he posts!
Actually jz68, the one Zip was referring to, IS that guy. Look at his posts. 99% of them relate to Wranglers leaking.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Lol, as we speak mine is getting poured on by a late summer rain, bestop safari top on. I'm in a shirt and tie, no way I'm running out to cover it. Just ride home with wet butt

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've been caught in a couple of HEAVY thunderstorms with no top. One time, I had some electrical problems afterwards:

• cruise control stopped working
  • radio stopped working
  • horn would go off at random for LONG periods of time (that one isn't very fun when stuck in rush hour traffic!)
When I got home after about a half hour drive, I parked it in the garage and disconnected the battery. When I woke up the next morning, I reconnected the battery, and it was like nothing had ever happened. I guess everything dried out. That was about a year ago, and I've never had any problems since.
This was a real common problem in TJs that got drenched. It's the clockspring in the steering wheel, there were write-ups on how to replace them. Peeps were having fun turning left and having their horn honk :rofl:

The added number of goodies controlled through the steering wheel may make this an even bigger issue for the JK, although it thankfully seems a bit more resistant to it. Keep a trashbag in the Jeep that you can throw over the steering column if you want to play it safe. Be prepared for people to joke and ask how you plan on throwing the rest of the Jeep away.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts