Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
havent bought my jeep yet still searching for the right one.

how well do the roofs seal? hard and soft tops?

I live in slc, utah where it can get to the high 90's and even 100's in the summer but we also get in the teens with snow in the winter. so would i be looking forward to a leaking roof the first time it rains or snows?

·
Registered
529 Posts
On my 04, I went through the winter in chicago with a soft top and my heater would burn me out on full blast. Not drafty at all, no leaks either, if you turned it off, it would get cold in there fast though.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
i got hard top on .. no leaks..04moneypit my heater sucks.. its at hottest on step 4 and i can hold my hand on the vents with out feeling it burn :( I dont know if its just me but my heater on my 1.8 4 banger miata was hotter

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
well, I have to agree with moneypit, my heater is crazy!! It will get so hot on the coldest nights that I have to turn it down before I get all the way home and it's only 8 minutes. Now it does get cold with it off but it will cook ya when it's on full blast

·
Registered
529 Posts
i got hard top on .. no leaks..04moneypit my heater sucks.. its at hottest on step 4 and i can hold my hand on the vents with out feeling it burn :( I dont know if its just me but my heater on my 1.8 4 banger miata was hotter
It sounds like you're either not getting enough flow through your heater core or you're fan motor or controls aren't working right. What does your temp gauge read normally? Mine sits just above the 210 mark, maybe you have a low temp thermostat?

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
I agree, never had my soft top leak in some pretty serious monsoon storms here in the area. Heat works great with the softop.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I live in Buffalo and I run my soft top year round. I've never had a problem with it. As for the heater, takes a few minutes to warm up. Other than that it blows some of the hottest air around. Unless I'm trying to melt ice off the windshield, I run it on the lowest fan setting, and it still gets too warm for me.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
Live in spokane Wa, and have a hard top, it rains like a cow pissing on a flat rock here and I've never noticed any leaks.
I only have a two mile drive to work so it takes longer to warm up than it does to drive but once it's warm it'll cook ya outa the cab.

·
Registered
858 Posts
i've only got the soft top but experienced no leaks, it's not drafty, and plenty warm if you have the heater on. but as previously noted, it does not retain the heat that well in the winter so when it's extra cold you will run the heater all the time.

haven't experienced summertime temps yet but i'm expecting similar results with the AC.

btw, 6 cyl.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
What does your temp gauge read normally? Mine sits just above the 210 mark, maybe you have a low temp thermostat?
Mine is a little bellow it.. what rpm range do you run your rig at? I think that may be my problem.. i start off on first at like 800 rpm and dont really go above 2k (on normal daily driving trip that is unless i feel like stepping on it) I get somewhat "better" :eek: mpg...

·
Registered
529 Posts
On the highway I'm turning anywhere from 2200 to 2800 (5th or 4th, respectively) but that shouldn't really correspond to heater out put, you should have enough flow through the core at Idle, so it sounds as if your blower motor or controls are not working properly.

·
Registered
8,377 Posts
when i step on it more it blows hot though but if i drive it nicely to save on gas its warm. I dont drive on highways.. i only drive locally here since thats my daily comute..

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Low on coolant?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
havent bought my jeep yet still searching for the right one.

how well do the roofs seal? hard and soft tops?

I live in slc, utah where it can get to the high 90's and even 100's in the summer but we also get in the teens with snow in the winter. so would i be looking forward to a leaking roof the first time it rains or snows?
The tops on Jeeps seal up well just like the tops on any convertible. The old days of freezing in a Jeep are long gone.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't have a problem with my soft top in the cold. It gets cold fast when the heater is turned off, but it gets pretty hot when it's running.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
My coolant on my jeep is near the low mark.. can this really be the problem since there is still coolant in the reservour?
It sure can. Less coolant means less heat coming through your vents. Fill'er up and see if it helps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts