Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently picked up some 16x8 Black Rock 950 Lobos last week at the Quadratec tent sale so now I am looking to get some new 33" tires and get them on my 2012 JKU Sahara.

I drive 80 to 90 miles a day in my commute so I am concerned mostly about the comfort of the ride. Fuel mileage.... a concern but not a primary concern. 95% of my driving is on road, but I still want a rugged look. I am not asking what type of tires I should get. I have a 2" AEV spacer kit that is going on very soon, probably before the tires.

I have been pricing out tires at a local place and I have found a good deals, but I am trying to decide how wide I want to go. 285x/75R16(~11.2" wide) or 305/70R16 (12" wide). I have 255/75R18 (10" wide) Bridgestone Dueler ATs now on factory 18" Polished 7 Spoke Anniversary Wheels.

My question is... how wide are everyone elses 33s? I know many people get 33x12.5R15s, but with a 16" wheel I do not have the luxury to buy those tires. In your opinion, what is a better width? ... considering this is a daily driver.

Any help would be appreciated. Let me hear your thoughts. :popcorn:

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I have been pricing out tires at a local place and I have found a good deals, but I am trying to decide how wide I want to go. 285x/75R16(~11.2" wide) or 305/70R16 (12" wide). I have 255/75R18 (10" wide) Bridgestone Dueler ATs now on factory 18" Polished 7 Spoke Anniversary Wheels.
Mine are 12.5" wide, but they're 35's.

Personally, I'd go with the 305's. You'll take a bigger hit on mileage due to weight and rolling resistance, and you'll lose a little more top end power. But neither of those would deter me.

Damn the 90-mile commute. :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm running 285/75R16 Cooper STs and 16x8 wheels with 4" of BS on my 07 JK and have been very happy with them. I commute 75 miles a day.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm running 285/75R16 Cooper STs and 16x8 wheels with 4" of BS on my 07 JK and have been very happy with them. I commute 75 miles a day.

The backspacing on the wheels that I bought is 5". I know that without a lift they may run, but I am planning on installing my lift before the tires.

I like your setup.

Thanks for the input.... Keep it coming. :punk:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm running 33x12.5 on 10" wheels with a set of Falken Wild Peak. Very quiet on the highway.
That is good to hear about the Falken Wild Peaks. I am looking at those and the General Grabber AT2. I can get a pretty good deal on either of them. The General Grabbers seem a little more aggressive and I am leaning that way right now, but the Falkens do seem a little more highway friendly... which is where I do about 67% of my driving.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
That is good to hear about the Falken Wild Peaks. I am looking at those and the General Grabber AT2. I can get a pretty good deal on either of them. The General Grabbers seem a little more aggressive and I am leaning that way right now, but the Falkens do seem a little more highway friendly... which is where I do about 67% of my driving.
Just an fyi: The General Grabber tend to be one of the heaviest tires. Not a big deal unless you're going up to a 35" or higher, but still not a good attribute.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
suicideking said:
Just an fyi: The General Grabber tend to be one of the heaviest tires. Not a big deal unless you're going up to a 35" or higher, but still not a good attribute.
That is another very helpful piece of information. Thank you.

How much could weight fluctuate tire to tire in the 33" diameter? I mean I guess it also depends on the width, number of steel bands, etc.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I run 33x12.5x17 MT mtz on stock rubi rims. 2" leveling and 1.5" wheel spacers. and I love it!!

Bryce

·
Registered
544 Posts
That is another very helpful piece of information. Thank you.

How much could weight fluctuate tire to tire in the 33" diameter? I mean I guess it also depends on the width, number of steel bands, etc.
Just be careful where you get the information on weight. The General AT2 285/75R16 is listed at just over 56 pounds by General. Tire rack says 61.

They are heavy. The same size Toyo Open Country MT is 64 pounds.

DB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts