Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this is basically a open thread about how everyone would build a jeep that sees mostly onroad use to be capable of holding its own on tough trails on the weekends.

Ive been doing a lot of thinking on this subject. I drive 30,000 miles a year for work so on road manners are a must first and foremost, but i also want to wheel it on the weekends without having to worry about getting stuck every 5 mins or beating it up to the point where i cant use it on monday. Given my requirements this is what i came up with for a good build...

First the model...i decided it would be a low mileage rubi. This would give me a jeep thats capable as hell right out of the box in stock form without mods.

Next on my list is armour. I figure if im not gonna lift it and still wanna go hard, ive gotta protect the vitals with skids...diffs, oil pan, steering box, ect.

A winch would be next. It wont be the tallest rig out there, so if i get stuck i wanna get out quick and easy. I figure throwing a warn winch on it will prove invaluble.

Tires have gotta be an aggressive at. Need a good compromise between road manners and off road capability. The stock mtr's are great off road but are lacking on the street, especially in ice and snow. I figure 31 inch duratracs or bfg at's should fit the bill.

Last would be some quick disconnects.

Ive gone back and forth on a 2" lift too...if i got anything it would be a 2" spacer lift so i could retain the stock ride but ive been weighing the cost/benefit of doing a 2" spacer lift. I know its not much money but its also money that could be spent on a winch or skid plates which i think would be more benificial than a mild spacer lift. My plan is to drive this rubi for another 4-5 years til its paid off then retire it, buy another dd, and turn the rubi into a dedicated trail rig so a bigger lift would be in order at that point anyway. Opinions?

What have/would you do to build a combination dd/weekend wheeling tj that sees alot of highway use?

·
Jeeper
1,282 Posts
If it were me, I would go with a high set of fenders, 2" of proper suspension lift, quick disco's, BFG KM2's, body armor/skids, tummy tuck, and a winch.

·
Jeeper
1,282 Posts
It is where you lift the transfer case higher between the frame rails. You get to loose the Gawd awful stamped transfer case skid and basically put in a sheet of flat metal. It helps give you some clearance under the frame while keeping the overall height of the vehicle down.

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
SirGeorgeKillian said:
If it were me, I would go with a high set of fenders, 2" of proper suspension lift, quick disco's, BFG KM2's, body armor/skids, tummy tuck, and a winch.
Exactly.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Sounds like you have a solid plan. For lift a 2" spacer lift and high fenders or a 1" BL would give you clearance for 33's. I know you said you want 31's but that little bit of size does matter in many situation. Tummy tuck is also a great idea so you don't get hung up on trees, rocks, or dirt mounds. The rubicon comes equipped very well from the factory so you probably wouldn't need any drivetrain modifications. Don't skimp on armor because the trees in NH like to hit jeeps...

·
Registered
314 Posts
See my sig. I'm pretty happy with the on and off road manners of my Jeep (it is close to your build plan).

If I put on more miles, the only change I would make is maybe stay 31s like you said. Then I wouldn't need a lift or heavy tire swing out bumper. I would pass on the 2" BB if you stay on 31s. Duratracs are a great choice!

If you want to keep stock springs (good idea) watch the weight you add. Try to keep to lighter armor (aluminum) and keep some stock parts (bumpers). The savvy aluminum under armor protects the engine, trans and TC, all for the weight of a stock TC skid. All the weight people add makes stock springs suffer.

A tummy tuck is a great way to add capability without much lift (small body lift is required).

I recently installed an Anti-rock front sway bar. I really prefer it over disconnects.

I would do:
-winch plate (aluminum)/winch - stock bumpers
-Savvy Under armor/tummy tuck & gas tank skid (requires 1.25" BL and 1"mml) -this could be done down the road, it isn't cheap - other parts are required
-31x10.50 Dura-tracs
-Anti-rock (optional)

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Focus on durability, quality parts, and clearance.

Aluminum armor, flat skid, highline fenders, quality shocks in the proper length for your usable suspension travel, correctly setup bump stops, Currie JJ's at all ends, beef steering with correct geometry, Currie AntiRock sway bar(s). Quality isn't cheap and if you want a non-run of the mill TJ, you need to look way past the average terminology.

Almost 4 years in the making and still not done. Drives, handles, brakes, and steers perfect and does awesome on the trails.

If you're sticking with 31's then stick with stock suspension height, upgrade the control arms and gain clearance in other ways. High clearance gas tank skid from Savvy, steering box and oil pan skids, and upgraded steering in one form or another (ZJ for budget, Currie for best) will do you well. Quit emphasizing height and focus on what's more important. The rig above is only sitting at about 2.5" over stock in terms of suspension height. Lastly, don't waste money and handicap your rig with quick disconnect links and the stock sway bar.

Here's a build thread you should check out. Jeff is building a very durable, quality Rubi on smaller tires: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/jeffro06s-rubicon-1133590/

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
4" suspension lift, 33" Duratracs (fairly aggressive AT), Currie JJ control arms, good sye and cv driveshaft, selectable lockers and a decent winch.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I was just going to suggest looking up Imped's rig and copy it:D
It looks like he has a good, solid, reliable rig that would be a great DD/ weekend warrior.

My Rubicon LJ will be built very similar.

Vince

·
Registered
1,399 Posts

Aluminum armor, flat skid, highline fenders, quality shocks in the proper length for your usable suspension travel, correctly setup bump stops, Currie JJ's at all ends, beef steering with correct geometry, Currie AntiRock sway bar(s). Quality isn't cheap and if you want a non-run of the mill TJ, you need to look way past the average terminology.

Almost 4 years in the making and still not done. Drives, handles, brakes, and steers perfect and does awesome on the trails.

If you're sticking with 31's then stick with stock suspension height, upgrade the control arms and gain clearance in other ways. High clearance gas tank skid from Savvy, steering box and oil pan skids, and upgraded steering in one form or another (ZJ for budget, Currie for best) will do you well. Quit emphasizing height and focus on what's more important. The rig above is only sitting at about 2.5" over stock in terms of suspension height. Lastly, don't waste money and handicap your rig with quick disconnect links and the stock sway bar.

Here's a build thread you should check out. Jeff is building a very durable, quality Rubi on smaller tires: Jeffro06's Rubicon - JeepForum.com

beauty!

·
Rock-Rubber
16,971 Posts
Joshpeb2 said:
Imped.....what front fenders are those? Nice lookin rig.
I think they are metal cloak overline. But I'm not sure. Can't tell by pics on my phone. But yeah he has a very very nice rig. He has put a lot of thought and hardwork into it no doubt.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Imped said:

Here's a build thread you should check out. Jeff is building a very durable, quality Rubi on smaller tires: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/jeffro06s-rubicon-1133590/
Great link! Nice rubi build based on compromise between a dd and offroad machine.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts