Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
delicate %$^&*@ flower
14,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine you have a bare bone stock Jeep. Doesn't need work on the engine, doesn't need work at all, other than it's stock. You have an unlimited bank account and access to anything you want. The only rule is you have to wait a month between each mod.

From start to finish, how would you go about building what you want?

(you have to be able to use it between mods, no leaving it in the garage in pieces)

·
Jack Lives Here!!!
7,760 Posts
That's a tough question Tiny. Because in my mind all mods are related to each other. I do one thing so that I can do another and then that lets me do something else. So in my mind I wouldn't have to wait for anything because I would do all mods at once. :D :D :D

·
Hacks off Parts while Lit
2,290 Posts
axles/driveline
lift
tires
engine enhancements (more pow-ah)
new radio
tube fenders (just for scout ;) )

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I'm assuming from what I've read that you guys have done these mods before, that's why you're giving them in the order that you are.

What I would like to know, is Step 1. Axles/driveline: why ? Why this first, and what does this mean - what mod do you make to these componants, and why is it important to do this as the first step ?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I'm assuming from what I've read that you guys have done these mods before, that's why you're giving them in the order that you are.

What I would like to know, is Step 1. Axles/driveline: why ? Why this first, and what does this mean - what mod do you make to these componants, and why is it important to do this as the first step ?
Nope not all done on mine yet. That was my desire list and not the list that cash allows for. Upgrading to dana 44's is my preference. Adding lockers is the top one in my book if the axle will handle it thats why I don't have a locker in the rear of mine. I haven't upgraded it yet as it is a dana 35. A broken axle on a weak rear/front end is a definite downer on the trail. Also the locker allows all 4 wheels to pull when one or more is off the ground. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
this is what I would probably do...

january, 6" long arm lift and 35"s

feb, 4.88 gears and ARB lockers

march, full cage

april, diesel conversion

may, front winch bumper

june, 9500 lb winch

july, rear tire carrier bumper

aug, daystar 1" poly body mount lift

sept, atlas 2

oct, klune V underdrive and TW rear shaft

nov, warn hub conversion

dec, some cool red and green neon lights under the dash to celebrate X-mas :D

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Atlas 2

An extremely high quality specialty 2 speed (High range 1:1 plus one low range) transfer case. Available for many popular applications in 2.0, 3.0, 3.8, 4.3, 5.0 and 6.0 to one low range ratios ratios. Custom adapted applications are in many cases possible where the standard stock item will not fit. We know all sorts of unusual applications for these excellent cases.

Fully synchronized shift-on-the-fly operation.

Twin Stick - allows 2-HI, 4-HI, RWD-Lo, FWD-Lo, 4WD-Lo operation

good info here > http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/aa_atlas_tj/part1/index.asp

linky...
http://high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/Tcase_Atlas.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=46104&viewitem=&item=8000498518

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
well it depends on how hard and how much you wheel. if you don't wheel that hard and your tires aren't gonna be that big (maybe 33's) i'd do this-

3-4" lift and 33's

sye/cv driveshaft if your gettin vibes

gears and axle upgrade if you fine your struggling with stock gears and your wheelin harder and need the stronger axles

sliders

more body armor and cool stuff (Like tube fenders, trail corners, led lights, bumpers, winch)

thats basically what i'd do but it really depends on your driving

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I would totally restore mine, frame up. Been together many years and I want to keep it around many more.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
DO you ever look before you leap? If you wanna be a hard core wheeler and lift your stock jeep with larger tires that the stock axles and gears wern't made for, they will wear out/or break leaving you stuck on a trail. Getting a good foundation is the best start on premature breakage. Even if your not rocking 35's from the start, axles/gears are prolly the best to upgrade first, depending on how extreme you want to go.

·
Kalashnikitty
5,584 Posts
Vector6, you said, "april, diesel conversion." Is there a diesel conversion kit for jeeps?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
DO you ever look before you leap? If you wanna be a hard core wheeler and lift your stock jeep with larger tires that the stock axles and gears wern't made for, they will wear out/or break leaving you stuck on a trail. Getting a good foundation is the best start on premature breakage. Even if your not rocking 35's from the start, axles/gears are prolly the best to upgrade first, depending on how extreme you want to go.
I get it, thanks.

I'm starting out with something, that someone else already started on, so I'm trying to figure where I need to "backtrack" to - to get things done correctly.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Diesel conversion...kick ass. What motor did you use?????

As far as starting with the axles and gears, I have a concern. If ultimately you want to run 35's aren't 4.88's goung to be a little much on stock tires. I have also read some articles and posts about incrementally building your rig. This allows you to become a better driver as your rig becomes more capable. If you are a novice and build the biggest, baddest Jeep you still don't know how to use it There is the usual catch 22 thing here though. The best thing you can add to your Jeep is a locker, but if you want big tires you need to upgrade your axles. Do you throw your money away buying a lunch box locker for your crappy D35 when you want to replace it later? I don't think so. I went with a lift first so I could fit bigger tires. This satisfied me for a while, but now I want to go bigger. Now it is time to upgrade to D44's with lockers. I can still use my existing lift and cut away some sheet metal to clear bigger( I already made my flat fenders) tires or add a "small" body lift. Eventually a suspension overhaul will be in order. And body armour is never a bad idea. It all depends if you care how your Jeep looks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would do:

1st - Armor (cant go anywhere with out gas or oil)
2nd - Axles/gears/driveline
3rd - lift
4th - tires
5th - winch/recovery
6th - any other loose ends

just my .02

Nick

1 - 20 of 21 Posts