Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does any one know how many 100 watt off road lights a stock alternator can hold with out over loading it i have six new nights i dont know if mine can take it if not where can i find a more powerful alternator. its a 1997 tj

·
Registered
230 Posts
not if this will help or not but when i had my 98 xj i had 6 100w lights on a stock system with optima marine battery. used them quite often and had no problems for the 3 years i had it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Does any one know how many 100 watt off road lights a stock alternator can hold with out over loading it i have six new nights i dont know if mine can take it if not where can i find a more powerful alternator. its a 1997 tj
Are you wheeling in a cave?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Its not so much the wattage on the bulbs but the amperage draw that you'll need to add up. you can look in the manual to get the amperage rating on the stock alt. if I remember right it's pretty high compared to most other vehicles. You should have no problem running 6 extra lights from the stock system. Its just if you wanted to run the AC, a 9K lbs winch and air compressor AND 6 extra lights where you might need to upgrade.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does anyone know where i could find the amount of amps the alternator puts out. I dont have the manual i bought it used and they did not give me one

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
1997's with 4 or 6 cyl use the same alternator, its a 90amp output.

MeanGreen make some high output alternators, but you'll pay out the @$$ for one.

·
WF Graphics Bitch
544 Posts
I've also heard that some of the high output 150A or so alternators used in Dodge Ram 3500's supposedly can practically bolt up. Not sure of the specifics, but I know a few people have done it - worth googling since these will cost a LOT less than a mean green unit.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
BTW - I'm sure if you head down to an AutoZone and, if the guy is in a good mood, they can look up each year and tell you if the alternator is the same... hell they'll have them in hand to compair to eachother to see if they work.

I know that the part number for a stock '97 TJ is a #13199 Import Alternator. Same as for:

# 1991-1998 Jeep Cherokee
# 1991-1992 Jeep Comanche
# 1992-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee(4.0L Only)
# 1991-1997 Jeep Wrangler

·
Registered
214 Posts
WOW, I was thinking of buying one of the higher priced alternator's to upgrade but this looks like it could save me a lot of $$$. Would anyone recommend upgrading the battery? What's the difference between the plane stock one and an Optima? Would the red top or the yellow top work better? I'm thinking of adding a winch and 2 100watt KC's and maybe in the future some rock lights.

·
WINNAR!!!!!!
6,805 Posts
Depending on which year wrangler you have some had a stock alt that puts out ~136 amps. If you get the part number off your alt I can look it up and tell you which one you have :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
WOW, I was thinking of buying one of the higher priced alternator's to upgrade but this looks like it could save me a lot of $$$. Would anyone recommend upgrading the battery? What's the difference between the plane stock one and an Optima? Would the red top or the yellow top work better? I'm thinking of adding a winch and 2 100watt KC's and maybe in the future some rock lights.
Upgrading the battery does absolutly nothing to increase the performace of the electrical system when the car is running. All an upgraded battery will do is provide you with power when the car is off. after you start your jeep you can take the battery completly out and it will still run and give you just as much juice as when it was in. your alt runs at that point. The only reason to upgrade you battery would be 1. if you run your accessories with the engine off for long periods of time. 2. if you use your battery for heavy duty purposes, such as starting a desiel or running things like and air compessor when the engine is off. 3. If you ever run your Jeep thru things that would submerge the battery (you'll want a sealed setup such as optima) or 4. If you continually run your battery down and charge it up you'll want a deep cycle that will hold a charge better.

I personally have a Red-Top optima battery, I like the idea of having the extra power when I need it, it being a sealed system, and I've used them before. but the best thing I liked about it, it was free or I woulda just got a Wal-Mart special. But the money I would have spent on the Optima I would have invested in the upgraded alt that you don't really need unless you have 30 lights + or even in a budget boost. IMHO an upgraded battery or alt is just for bragging rights and if thats your thing then go for it but I think the $ could be put to better use elsewhere on the rig.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts