Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,
Lots of talk about Jeeps in snow, ice, and mud, but how about hurricanes? Not sure what we'll be looking at tomorrow here in southern New Hampshire, but may have to do some driving to help out the folks.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I think the general recommendation will be to NOT drive during the hurricane, afterwards, go for it. Just be safe either way.

·
Registered
260 Posts
In my Jeep, I've a chainsaw, 4wd, a full tank of fuel, extra fuel, and a winch. Couple that with good ground clearance, and a decent water fording ability, and I'm happy with my ride for the aftermath. During, I'm willing to bet the squared off profile will act like a sail and blow me off the road.

Stay safe everyone.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
Buster3479 said:
In my Jeep, I've a chainsaw, 4wd, a full tank of fuel, extra fuel, and a winch. Couple that with good ground clearance, and a decent water fording ability, and I'm happy with my ride for the aftermath. During, I'm willing to bet the squared off profile will act like a sail and blow me off the road.

Stay safe everyone.
Good to have a hurricane outbreak jeep rather than ..... Yea those :hide:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just tossed the Stihl in the back of mine. i'll be at work tomorrow morning.

I was out in CT during Irene, had to do some water fording but it was no big deal since it was all streets i knew very well and could judge depth.

between the chainsaw and the tow straps shouldnt be an issue getting around.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Good to have a hurricane outbreak jeep rather than ..... Yea those :hide:
LOL... :popcorn:

I still have to be at work at 6AM to keep getting the place prepped for the storm. I filled it up, put some water in the bumper tanks, and got some extra fuel. We'll see how it goes. Might leave the JKU for the wife and take her patriot instead....

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I almost turned back to grab my saw and trailer on my way to school when I found a down oak last year! That's like half a cord plus. My students thought I was crazy. For not going back.

S

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Southern New Hampshire should be just fine. I called up my parents who have a house there. Your biggest worry will be high winds. You won't see the same rain that more southern areas will see. With the winds a chainsaw and a chain to cut and haul logs off the road is your best bet.

Right now I'm by the Mohawk River in NY which is expected to flood. I've got my axle breather extensions, a chain saw, 60 ft of recovery strap, a CB radio and my 4x4. I'm planning on going out into the water and flooded streets tomorrow. Maybe drive to check on my aunt and grandparents and help them with their generators before the power craps out

Best advice tho: carry cash. Atm's won't work if the power goes out and if you need cash you wouldn't be able to get it

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Jeeps and high winds don't go together very well. Hunker down until after it blows over so you don't place your and others lives at risk. Don't let your egos lead you to believe you can cross that little stream that really isn't. You can help others afterwards.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would think the jeep would do poorly in a hurricane. THe softop will leak with the wind driven rain.. and they are NOT arrow dynamic, not from front angle and cross winds are a real problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
We just flew into DC for work training today. Unfortunately they canceled our whole week of training and the metro is shut down tomorrow. We did talk them into getting their local trainer to come in. Guess we will be taking a taxi. Long trip from Arkansas with a lot of problems.

On your post though, I wouldn't attempt being out in the wind. I get hood shudder during mild gusts and get pushed on the road as well.

·
Registered
579 Posts
IMHO best to stay off the road if at all possible during high winds no matter what you are driving. It's not the downed trees blocking the road I'm leery of but one coming down on me while driving down the road. Saw the aftermath of it happening to a mini van 2 miles from my house during the one we had last year.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
i just saw a JK fording some flood water on the news. looked pretty sweet! good luck to those out there.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts