Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone get the upgraded system with connectivity package? Is it worth it or is it better to go aftermarket for headunit/speakers and get as close to stock as possible?

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's nothing special. A bit muffled. If you want the easy of having a factory system installed then it might be a choice. If you want good quality sound, maybe not.

·
Registered
892 Posts
General consensus is the 07-12 Infinity system sounded better.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you go aftermarket what do you do about the navi? Just replace the speakers but keep the navi 430n navi?

·
Registered
327 Posts
The issue is the factory amp. I'm waiting to read one of these threads where someone has figured out a way to replace the amp.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
The issue is the factory amp. I'm waiting to read one of these threads where someone has figured out a way to replace the amp.
I'm waiting for someone to actually hack the amp software so that the user can change the settings. Simply put....adjust the EQ curve and increase the gain on the rear speakers and sub. Maybe even adjust the crossover frequencies.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm waiting for someone to actually hack the amp software so that the user can change the settings. Simply put....adjust the EQ curve and increase the gain on the rear speakers and sub. Maybe even adjust the crossover frequencies.
Would this be possible with Chrysler software? Or would you need a Alpine tech to do it? As anyone contacted Alpine directly to see if theres a fix?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I got another question? Is the Kicker speaker upgrade worth the 140.00 or does it still boil down to the amp denutting the system? Has anyone tried to replace the stock amp? I know I put a Alpine marine amp in my jetboat and it makes 6.5's in it slam. I'm very impressed with it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I thought with the 2013 rubicon and the 730n with an alpine system , 384 watts and 7 speakers and 1800 in added cost for the mess the stereo would be decent. Boy was I wrong, No highs , no punch just good ol 1970's style muddy sound with zero clarity. The biggest problem is that the navi and touch screen are great. I dont want to get rid of the head unit but damn do I need some better sound.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After adding Alpine speakers and just a amp to my stock Nav head unit in my 2012 JK I was very diappointed in the sound. My installer then added a JL Audio clean sweep and now it sounds solid. The frequency response in the head unit is terrible and that was very apperant after putting in good speakers. The Clean Sweep flattened out the frequency response.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Just stop and think about the speakers that are included in the Alpine/Infinity system.

If it were a home system, you would throw it out.

A 7 speaker system that only has two tweeters?
It has 4 cheap paper cone 6.5's and an underpowered, undersized 8" sub.

Given those particular speakers.....it is easy to see why there is WAY too much upper mid base (no clarity, no deep base...just low mid tones which equal mud).

Given the "raw material" (four 6.5's plus room for separate tweeters and a sub)...there is actually a lot that could be done. But Jeep is making it really hard to do. This could be a killer 9 speaker system if set up correctly. And yes, I'm talking components in the soundbar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This could be a killer 9 speaker system if set up correctly. And yes, I'm talking components in the soundbar
Alpine components up front and in the sound bar for me. Add a 12" separate enclosed box in the back for the sub and Alpine amp under the seat. Now I sounds good and loud.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
I guess I have the upgraded system in my 2012 Rubicon. I think it's standard? I'm not sure, but it's an okay stereo. It's nothing great, but it doesn't suck, either. It's plenty loud for me. I don't need people to hear it from 1/2 mile away.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I test drove a 12 and 13 Rubicon yesterday. Both with the Navi unit. I was not impressed with either stereo. They both sounded the same to me. I wont say they suck but for 35k vehicle they could have done alot better. I didnt really mess with the controls but with the stock setup I couldnt hear the sound bar or the rear sub at all. They unit itself was nice to use and I liked the touch screen Navi and the display of the SAT radio stations was cool but the sound just wasnt there. Now I kind of past the point of booming stereos it just is not a deal breaker for me anymore so I dont think I would mess with the head unit unless there was some easy fix to make it sound considerbly better.

·
Registered
327 Posts
After adding Alpine speakers and just a amp to my stock Nav head unit in my 2012 JK I was very diappointed in the sound. My installer then added a JL Audio clean sweep and now it sounds solid. The frequency response in the head unit is terrible and that was very apperant after putting in good speakers. The Clean Sweep flattened out the frequency response.
This is the first time I've heard someone mention something like this thats a step(what appears to be) in the right direction. I'd like to just switch out the speakers and add a Alpine PDX-5 keeping the stock head unit. Theres a thread on JK-Owners about a guy redoing the harness making it work, but thats slightly above my knowledge. I definitely don't want to lose the HU

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So if I buy the Sahara is comes with the 430n headunit right? Is that ok to keep? Is it possible to replace speakers while keeping the head unit?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not good. Just took delivery of a 13'. In summary, subwoofer is horrible. No real deep bass, limited output. Front dash speakers and tweeters are ok, but muddy sounding and no real definition or high end. Soundbar speakers are what they are... On a positive note, the Uconnect system works well. The voice recognition and bluetooth interface works well.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts