Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have a Barricade bumper (front or rear) I wanted to ask how has it been holding up? I'm especially interested in the rear latch for the tire carrier and the finish on them, especially if you are in the rust best like me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have both the front and rear bumper+tire carrier. They have been on my Jeep for a couple years now. I too live in the rust belt. The front bumper is great. I had to drill out one of my mounting tabs a little to get it mounted, but that was the only issue I had with it. Rear bumper went on easy, same with the tire carrier. It doesn't have a zerk fitting on it, so I slapped some grease on the pivot arm before installing the carrier. No problems there. The latch is made from aluminum, it works just fine. Really the only issue I have is that it does rattle a bit. The powder coat on them isn't the best I've seen, but some rattle can Rustoleum bed liner goes well on them. All in all, not too bad for a inexpensive bumper combo set.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Besides my tire carrier being a little noisy everything is fine. I have no complaints.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Had to repaint both front and rear bumpers. Heat gun and a scraper took off the paint that didn't just fall off with the rust. The rest was remover with a twisted wire wheel.

As for the tire carrier...the grease "dried out" and caused the carrier to barely work. So I had a friend (with real steady hands) cut the carrier ring down its length to free it off the post. He then wielded on 2 plates on either side of the cut. Finally he drilled and taped holes for bolts to go through. This allows how easy removal and greaseing.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had to repaint both front and rear bumpers. Heat gun and a scraper took off the paint that didn't just fall off with the rust. The rest was remover with a twisted wire wheel.
How long did the finish last before you had to repaint?

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've got the rear bumper/tire carrier. No complaints, I did find that the tire carrier felt like it rocked forwards and backwards a bit if you put your hand on the tire and pushed it a bit. I spaced the factory tire bumps on the rear door outwards 1.5" with bumpstop spacers and now the carrier pushes tight up against the stops when it's latched. It doesn't rock at all now. I think the rocking would have worn and stretched the sleeve for the carrier mount.

·
Registered
404 Posts
How long did the finish last before you had to repaint?
I live on the New England coast. So salt...everywhere. I bought the Jeep with them on so I would say a couple of years. After I found the first blister, on the outside, it went qwick.

The coating seamed...dry. Where it was not blistering, it was really well adhered. It was Rhino type material just not that great.

The actual bumpers strength is really good. When I re did the paint, I had the same friend do some additional reinforcement to the inside and full wield some spots just for the added strength.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Front bumper, same as above, initial fitment needed a bit of adjustment on one of the mounting tabs. Finish has held up great over the past 3 years.

Reactions: lioneljeeper

·
Registered
345 Posts
I have purchased one on eBay sans installation hardware for half off retail. Easy enough to infer bolt sizes from the installation instructions, but cold use some help on measurements for the mounting brackets so I can have them fab'ed.

Any assistance appreciated in advance.

P.S. - Have already asked Barricade and Xtreme Terrain directly if I could just get, purchase the installation hardware and the response from both was an unequivocal "no, we don't do that."

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have purchased one on eBay sans installation hardware for half off retail. Easy enough to infer bolt sizes from the installation instructions, but cold use some help on measurements for the mounting brackets so I can have them fab'ed.

Any assistance appreciated in advance.

P.S. - Have already asked Barricade and Xtreme Terrain directly if I could just get, purchase the installation hardware and the response from both was an unequivocal "no, we don't do that."
You can get almost any hardware for your jeep at either Orchard Supply or Lowe's. What bumper did you get? front or rear?

·
Registered
345 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts