Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing everyone's garage door openers installed, I wanted one. So I found this one on ebay for $35.

97 03 Mercedes SLK 230 320 32 Home Link Garage Door Opener Module R170 | eBay

It is different than the ones everyone has used thus far. So, I thought I would give it a try. It was so easy the Geico caveman could do it!

This is a 2013 JKU, BTW...

Here is the unit disassembled. It is held together by one screw.

I then removed the end of the wiring harness:

So, I started by pulling the header. I was amazed that it is only held my some crappy clips, and none of the screws/bolts that are at the windshield/A pillar junction.

What I also noticed is this nicely shaped, perfect indention in the center of the header, like something "should" fit there.

Then I compared it to the exterior of the opener, and boy it's close:

I drilled my "don't cut past this mark" hole at 3 1/4" from the bottom of the header:

I then measured and transfered my pattern to the header, then drilled the pilot holes. I measured the edges of the pattern to 1 7/32" from center:

I proceeded to cut using a fine x-acto knife. Worked well with the soft plastic.

I beveled the top inside edge of the opening where the clam will come together. I also took a notch out of the plastic that holds that rod in place so the opener fits a little better:

Test fit:

Attach the two pieces together and insert screw:

To wire, use the orange/pink wire for positive, black and white for ground. That way, it only works when keyed:

Put your header back in place, and you're finished!!!

Took me about an hour to complete, and it works/looks like it belongs there. Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nicely done!

·
Registered
777 Posts
VERY nice install. But does everyone know about stashing an opener in the rollbar padding/cover?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I did all of this since I lost my genie transmitter. I completely forgot that you NEED A TRANSMITTER in order to program it!! You can't just push the learn button. I guess I will have to see how close I can park next to my wife's car and see if the programming signal will reach!

·
Registered
583 Posts
OH, this is sweet. I'm adding it to my to do list of mods.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
That looks good! The only issue is if you have a SPOD....but it looks like you could just slide it over 8 inches or so.

Reactions: CTarna

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
VERY nice install. But does everyone know about stashing an opener in the rollbar padding/cover?
Yes, that is the problem. EVERYONE knows about stashing an opener in the driver-side padding.

These things are about $25 on ebay and having it wired to a switched power source is simply more secure.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That looks good! The only issue is if you have a SPOD....but it looks like you could just slide it over 8 inches or so.
I don't plan on getting an spod. Going for the rugged ridge a-pillar switch panel. I like that location better than overhead switches. Easier to reach.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Yes, that is the problem. EVERYONE knows about stashing an opener in the driver-side padding.

These things are about $25 on ebay and having it wired to a switched power source is simply more secure.
If someone is going to look for it, steal it out of the padding, and then follow me home to break in they're determined enough to get in without the opener too.

Glad to see people are doing this with a switched source. Always irritated me that my '10 Ram was on a constant hot. Haven't checked the charger but I'm sure it's the same.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Nice job!

I love mine!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
If someone is going to look for it, steal it out of the padding, and then follow me home to break in they're determined enough to get in without the opener too.

Glad to see people are doing this with a switched source. Always irritated me that my '10 Ram was on a constant hot. Haven't checked the charger but I'm sure it's the same.
It is all perspective. I park outside, so it isn't really about someone following me home, it is knowing that there is a garage door opener sitting in the world's most unsecure vehicle (especially when the soft top on) outside of my house. I have a garage door opener in their now, but it is in the underseat lockbox....and that is a hassle to deal with.

About your Ram..that sucks. I had it in my Liberty and it was a switched source.....so I loved it. Can you rewire it? If it were not a switched source, I would not bother with Homelink.

Man...the Benz version looks good! Too bad my "standard" version came in the mail a few days ago. I guess I could sell it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
It is all perspective. I park outside, so it isn't really about someone following me home, it is knowing that there is a garage door opener sitting in the world's most unsecure vehicle (especially when the soft top on) outside of my house. I have a garage door opener in their now, but it is in the underseat lockbox....and that is a hassle to deal with.

About your Ram..that sucks. I had it in my Liberty and it was a switched source.....so I loved it. Can you rewire it? If it were not a switched source, I would not bother with Homelink.

Man...the Benz version looks good! Too bad my "standard" version came in the mail a few days ago. I guess I could sell it.
Agree completely if you park outside. Ours is IN the garage so no worries. The truck was too big to fit in the garage so I never programmed the Homelink and would take the opener in with me every night. Could have rewired it but it was a lease and I knew I was turning it back in so I just dealt with it.

Based on economy of numbers I don't know why they just don't put these in everything these days.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The way the header is designed with that indention, it looks like they might have planned for it, but never did it... Or it's going to be 2015 "feature creep"...

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
I really like this idea over the regular clicker, others have mentioned putting it in the rollbar padding, one other thing you still have to concern yourself with is the battery dying...having this hard wired alleviates that worry.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The way the header is designed with that indention, it looks like they might have planned for it, but never did it... Or it's going to be 2015 "feature creep"...
Yeah...I wonder too. Either future feature or one that got canned in the name of cost savings.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts