Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody selling or know of anybody selling a hp dana 30? so far ive only found one and the guy wants $250

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
There are tons of salvage yards in Wichita. Get online and find a salvage yard directory and start calling them. That's how I found my low-mileage 8.8 rear. You're bound to find a HP D30......XJs are a dime a dozen at any salvage yard. I called around looking for a TJ D44 (bolt in) for about 3 months before deciding on going with the 8.8 rear. It seems that there are places that specialize in TJ D44s and have a network of salvage yards all over the United States that send them those rears as soon as they get them. Bummer for the average guy wanting to upgrade his TJ with a bolt-in D44. Oh well, the 8.8 is a stronger rear anyway. Win-win I guess. :D Good luck with the search for the HP D30. Check with Bee-Line Auto Salvage in Wichita. They're easy to deal with and seem to have a good inventory of STUFF. Here's their number (316)522-4343

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only reason I ask on here is I just like seeing if any fellow jeepers have any for sale. I just hat how all the salvage yards are in wichita. If you don't mind me asking how much did you get you 8.8 for from the salvage yard?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I were back home in new hampshire I would go to the local junkyard and pull one myself for like $80

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
The only reason I ask on here is I just like seeing if any fellow jeepers have any for sale. I just hat how all the salvage yards are in wichita. If you don't mind me asking how much did you get you 8.8 for from the salvage yard?
I paid just a little less than $250......$248 or something like that WITH TAXES. It's a low-mileage V8 unit locked with disc brakes and 31 spline axles. I'm happy with it. I replaced the rotors (they were CHEAP, so I didn't bother turning the stock rotors) and rebuilt the calipers with new o-rings/seals. Neither caliper NEEDED rebuilt, I just figured that since I had them apart to repaint them, it was a good time to do it. Plus, they were SIMPLE to rebuild. I also added new brake pads. They were more expensive than the rotors! :D Here are a couple pics.....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
now thats a good deal! i wouldnt mind paying that much for the hp d30 if it was re geared and locked but its not. i think hes asking about $100 too much

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just called bee line and they are out of hp d30s and only have one 8.8 for $200. he mentioned another salvage yard A and A, have you dealt with them?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just got off the phone with A and A. they gave me a price on the hp d30 of $150 and an 8.8 price of $125, not too shabby

·
That WF guy.
21,557 Posts
just got off the phone with A and A. they gave me a price on the hp d30 of $150 and an 8.8 price of $125, not too shabby
But what year is the 8.8 and what gears? what you need or will you be regearing anyway?

Also WHAT is the 8.8 axle from? They used many different versions of the 8.8 from full width truck to very wimpy mustang version, rangers etc.

You'll want one from a 96 and up V8 ford exploder. Newer than 96 and v8 will give you the disc brakes correct width and 31 spline axles. Most are 3.73's or 4.10's.

:wavey:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i specifically asked for a mid 90s 8.8 out of a explorer with disc brakes. dont really care about gearing because im going to re gear to 4.56. i wasnt too sure on the hp 30, i said mid 90s and no vacuum disco. i cant remember if you want the disco or not so i just said no disco

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
If you get the 8.8, will you have to do any major mods to it, other than welding new brackets to it?

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
samnmax said:
If you get the 8.8, will you have to do any major mods to it, other than welding new brackets to it?
Oh, wait, I forgot you have an XJ, I'm thinking TJ....

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Oh, wait, I forgot you have an XJ, I'm thinking TJ....
It looks like hes got a ZJ...unless he has a project wrangler or something that isnt in his profile.

But to answer your question, you have to weld in brackets, weld tubes, possibly shorten your DS, plumb in new brake lines, and set up the ebrake.

EDIT: looks like you beat me to it distorted :p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts