Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
97, 2.5l, 4" lift, DD, backroads and moderate rocks, no mud unless i have to lol.
Looking at options to go for straight bolt in. Which is best route to go and why?Will be rebuilding it and going 4.88 and air locker.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I put in a set of chromoly shafts in my d30...cost 500 for the shafts but i know they'll be golden and have a very slight chance of breaking with anything i do.

but to answer the question, i prefer the hp30 over the rubi 44

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Interesting, is this because of clearance or is the hp r&p stronger than the 44?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Thanks. Interesting, is this because of clearance or is the hp r&p stronger than the 44?
A smaller ring and pinion gear that runs on the stronger side of the ring gear teeth vs. a larger rig and pinion that runs on the weaker side of the ring gear. What will fail first? Hard to say.

I prefer the drive shaft clearance and ease of running relatively high pinion angles while maintaining nice caster. HP30's are tough little axles.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Sold. Hp it is. Easier to find gold than it is a 44 here. And thanks for the search find, I always have a hella time with the search option 😳.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Look for one out of a mid to late 90's cherokee (bolt in HP30), pick up a new carrier, install kit, gears, locker, chromo shafts and strengthen it and you'll be set. This is exactly what I'm doing and I picked up my HP30 for $100 complete. Find someone that knows how to set up gears properly.
They also pop up on sites already done and ready to bolt in.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,020 Posts
Yep I'd rather have a HP D30 than my front LP D44 too, the front of my front driveshaft hangs lower than I like. Besides, a TJ Rubicon front D44 has substantial Dana 30 content so it's not really that much stronger overall than a D30 is anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cool. Just to confirm...mid to late 90 Cherokee will be straight bolt in? All steering, suspension connections, wheel studs, brakes etc etc is same? (not concerned about internals). And the width is the same? I'm not interested in having to do any mods or fabbing.
Thanks!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Yes bolt in. I would install after market control arm mounts since the stock ones are thin and I believe its currie that has a kit for the uppers.
Don't forget the hp30 has a reverse spiral gear set up and you need to order the correct set. Try and find one from a 96-99 but there are write ups for the exact year breakdown.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts