Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

HSA on or off for DD on a stick?

• Oh yeah I always leave it ON

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Turn that thing OFF now!!

Votes: 10 45.5%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do those of you using your rig as a DD and have a stick leave the HSA on or did you turn it off? It's driving me a bit nuts and I'm thinking of just shutting it off unless I'm somewhere like San Francisco or Seattle with really steep hills. I've tried getting used to it on my driveway by applying just enough brake to not roll, but it seems like you have to give a lot of gas to overcome the brakes and get it to start moving. I can't imagine this is really good for the brakes on a daily basis.

·
First Jeep: M38A1
368 Posts
Just gotta get your timing down. It only stays on for about a second, and only when you have the brakes on uphill. I haven't noticed any hesitation on downhill grades, but in those situations I would generally just let it 'roll' into 1st or 2nd gear anyway.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Do those of you using your rig as a DD and have a stick leave the HSA on or did you turn it off? It's driving me a bit nuts and I'm thinking of just shutting it off unless I'm somewhere like San Francisco or Seattle with really steep hills. I've tried getting used to it on my driveway by applying just enough brake to not roll, but it seems like you have to give a lot of gas to overcome the brakes and get it to start moving. I can't imagine this is really good for the brakes on a daily basis.
It's more of a timing thing, I've found. You shouldn't have to gun it to get the HSA to release. I usually let it hold for a second, then ease into the throttle till it lets go.

Personally, I like it, especially if some situationally unaware moron has pulled up right behind me on a hill in traffic.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Just gotta get your timing down. It only stays on for about a second, and only when you have the brakes on uphill. I haven't noticed any hesitation on downhill grades, but in those situations I would generally just let it 'roll' into 1st or 2nd gear anyway.
It won't hesitate on downhills...it only applies when you're going up a hill in the proper gear for the intended direction of travel.

In other words, if you're going up a hill in a forward gear, or up a hill in reverse, HSA will activate. It'll also hold for a second or so in neutral (only on manual Jeeps).

Not sure if the way I explained it makes sense, but there you go. :thumb:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I disabled mine after four months of trying to adjust and predict how the hill assist would act in different situations. There were a few times when I needed to move immediately where the HSA would slow me down.

There were also instances when I thought it would engage but wouldn't and vice versa. Overall I found it to be too much of a liability to leave it active.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
How do you turn it off
If you have an EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Info Ctr), you can turn it off through that.

Otherwise you gotta do a "steering wheel dance."

You got an EVIC?

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Nope don't have it, I have to take off the old fashioned way...break, clutch, gas all at the same time...sort of.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
The thing to remember is that it holds in direct proportion to how hard you apply the brake while stopped. Knowing that is the key to mastering it. Light pressure just enough to keep from rolling and it won't hold at all. Mash the brake and it will keep you in place.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It drove me nuts... I kept killing the engine with it on. I've driven a stick all my life... I did better with it off.

However, playing on the rocks, I think I'll try it on next time... Might be quite useful.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I disabled mine after four months of trying to adjust and predict how the hill assist would act in different situations. There were a few times when I needed to move immediately where the HSA would slow me down.

There were also instances when I thought it would engage but wouldn't and vice versa. Overall I found it to be too much of a liability to leave it active.
If you have an EVIC (Electronic Vehicle Info Ctr), you can turn it off through that.

Otherwise you gotta do a "steering wheel dance."

You got an EVIC?
If you don't have an EVIC, do this:

For manual tranny:

NOTE: The steps below must be completed within 90 seconds. (or what, something's gonna blow up? Jesus. :cool: )

1. Park w/engine off, wheels straight, tranny in neutral, clutch out and parking brake engaged.

2. Start engine.

3. With brake applied and clutch out, turn steering wheel 180º counterclockwise from center (and leave it there).

4. Press ESC OFF button 4 times within twenty seconds.

5. Rotate steering wheel 360º clockwise (180º from center).

6. Cycle ignition switch OFF then ON.

7. If completed properly, the ESC indicator light in your dash will blink several times to tell you that HSA is off.

To turn HSA back on, repeat steps 1-7.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
The thing to remember is that it holds in direct proportion to how hard you apply the brake while stopped. Knowing that is the key to mastering it. Light pressure just enough to keep from rolling and it won't hold at all. Mash the brake and it will keep you in place.
Nailed it.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
Word. Listen to this man.

I was taught and always used the hand e-brake method with standards on hills and was initially having some struggles with the HSA until I saw Tom post this information in another thread. This bit of knowledge was an epiphany. I use it all the time, with perfect and predictable results now. HSA works very well when you use it the correct way.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep I've seen you mention this before. That's why I noted in my post that I have tried practicing by letting off and waiting till HSA releases and then apply just enough to stop the rollback. Then I try to pull forward up the driveway. It sounds like from Kbwwolf's post that I'm expecting it to act differently though than it should.

In other words I should more slowly add throttle/clutch instead of expecting it to release right away and maybe pause for a second after releasing the brake and giving any gas. I guess I'm expecting it to let off as soon as I am giving it enough to move forward but it doesn't actually work that way.

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
I guess I'm expecting it to let off as soon as I am giving it enough to move forward but it doesn't actually work that way.
Mine does.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Mine does.
Tom is right. Mine does too.

My Dad taught me to drive a stick (three on the tree) when I was 14. It was a '51 Ford Flathead V8. Anyway, he made me operate the clutch, brake, gas, and parking brake shoeless. Those controls were much more sensitive to me that way and I had the whole thing mastered in about 15 minutes.

So, when I was having a bit of spasticness with the HSA I used Tom's instructions on using light pressure on the brake and going shoeless once again. It only took a half dozen practice starts and my lack of coordination with the HSA was a thing of the past. Practicing it that way might help other folks that are having some difficulty mastering their HSA.

Thanks Tom (and Dad)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Here is another vote for the HSA. I too learned to always use my handbreak on hills. it was the only way back in the 60's. and with sports cars.

THEN.....I got my JK and it has the HSA. I have now learned to use it and I find it great. Its most especially useful on slight to moderate grades at stop lights. There its SUPER. In a really steep situation I do find myself going back to the more familier hand break release with the cluch-gas feathering......but the HSA is quite handy.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It drove me nuts... I kept killing the engine with it on. I've driven a stick all my life... I did better with it off.

However, playing on the rocks, I think I'll try it on next time... Might be quite useful.

I had the same issue. Stalled it out a handful of times and that was enough to turn it off.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts