Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday on the trails my hub bearing on the right side blew. the wheel was about 45 degrees in towards the fenders and i had to flat bed tow it home. today, i picked a new one up from discount auto parts and when i installed it, it makes a clicking sound when rolling. I think it comes greased already. I bought the bearings already pressed in and the hub. Is there a way i can grease this if it does not come greased? any ideas whats going on?

·
Hacks off Parts while Lit
2,290 Posts
sounds like you might have eaten the axle u joint.

the hub bearings are sealed and cannot be greased.

check the u joint for slop

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
agreed. the hubs are unit assemblies. did you grease the splines before you put the new hubs on? aslo, did the axle shafts slide out when you pulled the old hub off?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, i did pull out the axle shaft. Its not the axle u-joint. i checked it. It only clicks when the wheel is at a certain spot, so the click it consistent. Its definetly coming from the side i change the hub. I dont know what it is and i have school tomarow and i wont drive it messed up like this.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
blown hub bearing

luckily i made it out of the trails before it happened cause the tow truck would not of made it out there.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
you can hear that it is coming from the hub itself and not the other end of the shaft? thats probably good meaning you didnt mess anything up near the gears. could just be a bad hub

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if i jack up the front and spin that tire, its perfect. But when its on the ground and weight is applied, clicks

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that tire is bolted on the hub. that is the only problem. the bearing is completly shot. I was actually able to peel out what was left of the bearing.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the only thing i can see happening is that it can be a bad hub and bearing that i bought. Im gonna switch the hubs from drivers side to teh passengers side and see if the clicking swap sides. Does anyone have any other ideas of what that clicking can be??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts