Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard this past weekend (from a local) that too many folks have been spoiling the ride again by not Treading Lightly.
Long story cut short is that, the Forestry Service is looking to close this down due to abuse. Maybe it'll be open in the summer months only....

·
Registered
265 Posts
That is terrible news to hear. I always liked to run this when I was up in Asheville for the weekends. Can't imagine it being permanently closed since there are cabins along the road.
Sad that others can't respect the land :(

Ken~

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is terrible news to hear. I always liked to run this when I was up in Asheville for the weekends. Can't imagine it being permanently closed since there are cabins along the road.
Sad that others can't respect the land :(

Ken~
We (two of us) would wheel there as a break coming back from the JJAM in Williamsburg, KY from time to time. Always a nice break in the travel. Just drove by there going up to Green Gap(?) Rd to complete the Smokey Mtn 1000 this past Labor day weekend. Was afraid to stop there out of fear of what we might see.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Last time on the trail was over the 4th holiday. It is a beautiful run and at that time, I didn't notice any abuse. We thought we were doing some serious Jeep stuff until we came across a Lexus 1/2 way along. I didn't air down as the trail is not that long, but wished I did due to the rough ride. I am sure the Lexus had a much smoother ride. We spotted for him at a couple of spots but he made it, so the road isn't that bad. Most of the rough spots were caused by the over 100" of rain the area got last year and not 4x4 abuse.

Like @kmusk01 said, there is a lot of private property back there. Houses, lots for sale, etc.. Unless there is some serious erosion issues, I always wonder what is accomplished by closing areas. Keep the area pristine so future generations can't use it also? Forest roads grow back over very quickly.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last time on the trail was over the 4th holiday. It is a beautiful run and at that time, I didn't notice any abuse. We thought we were doing some serious Jeep stuff until we came across a Lexus 1/2 way along. I didn't air down as the trail is not that long, but wished I did due to the rough ride. I am sure the Lexus had a much smoother ride. We spotted for him at a couple of spots but he made it, so the road isn't that bad. Most of the rough spots were caused by the over 100" of rain the area got last year and not 4x4 abuse.

Like @kmusk01 said, there is a lot of private property back there. Houses, lots for sale, etc.. Unless there is some serious erosion issues, I always wonder what is accomplished by closing areas. Keep the area pristine so future generations can't use it also? Forest roads grow back over very quickly.
The source I spoke with lives in Waynesboro so I could only assume (ass/u/me) his service with the Forestry folks was keeping him knowledgeable. We'll see.

Reactions: Dr Obbins

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
A local group wheeled out there today, so I asked what they heard/saw. This is the replies:
heard the same thing today from another group riding. Said they are talking Feb time frame....
its not the trail that’s the problem. It was put to me like this... ppl are going up there and trashing fields and ponds of the land owners. They had something back in the spring where a guy had his Jeep in someone’s pond!

Reactions: H8SPVMT
1 - 6 of 6 Posts