Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1992 YJ
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be obvious but don't want to risk putting in the wrong thing.

The previous owner told me to keep an eye on the clutch fluid weekly (see below).

Wanting to top it off but unsure what fluid I can put in there.

In the manual it says "Brake and Hydraulic Clutch Fluid DOT 3".

Will the Prestone Brake Fluid be okay to use below? Any recommendations?

Having trouble finding the right stuff from Mopar as the manual recommended.

·
Registered
16,475 Posts
Pretty much on my old TR3 the cone shaped clutch reservoir was within the brake fluid reservoir so had to use same fluid for both

Goal is non compressible non flammable non corrosive non frothing fluid to transfer pressure and especially in brakes has to have high heat tolerance without boiling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2002 Jeep TJ 4.0 Automatic with about a four inch lift, 35x12.50x15 Hercules tires
107 Posts
Dot 3 brake fluid is the only thing I have ever used for a hydraulic clutch. I’ve never heard of anyone using something else.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,435 Posts
Our Jeeps use brake fluid for both clutch and brakes.
Dot 3 has a lower boiling point than Dot 4, but absorbs water (Moisture) at a slower rate needing changed less frequently. Water in the system will allow spongy brakes and soft clutch if not changed and kept fresh.
Either one will work for your needs in the Jeep equally. I prefer to use the Dot 4 only because I change my fluids more frequently than recommended, and my other newer cars use the Dot 4.
If you don't change your fluids at least once a year, I'd run the DOT 3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts