Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed 37" tires on my 16 JKUR. I have done or will be doing all the usual upgrades. So far I have installed Dynatrac ball joints, strengthened up the D44 axles, 4.88 gearing. I have yet to do moly axles, brake upgrades and driveshafts. Right now I am trying to decide what hydro assist steering to go with. I would like to hear from those who have installed one of the systems that are out there, how they perform and the reliability of the ones they are using. Any and all feedback will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I am running a PSC big bore kit with ram assist. Makes life so much easier when you are locked, aired down to 8 psi and playing on rocks. Easily one of my top 5 mods I have done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
What he said ^^^^ PSC.

Reactions: fireguy

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
PSC kit for sure. I love it and I'm not using a ram assist kit. Please, for your safety and the safety of your passengers, upgrade your brakes ASAP.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PSC kit for sure. I love it and I'm not using a ram assist kit. Please, for your safety and the safety of your passengers, upgrade your brakes ASAP.
Getting BBK kit on this week, tie rod and drag link shortly. Would the ram assist be overkill for 37's? I was leaning to go with the ram assist as well on the PSC kit.

·
Registered
879 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
Getting BBK kit on this week, tie rod and drag link shortly. Would the ram assist be overkill for 37's? I was leaning to go with the ram assist as well on the PSC kit.
I would not call the ram assist overkill for 37's. Depending on how you use your Jeep it may be required. Without it, there can be times when you cannot turn the steering wheel. Usually those times are when locked and stopped or near stopped. CV axle shafts, like from RCV, can help. But if you use your Jeep hard enough you will need hydro assist with 37's. And it is hard to find a better option for it than PSC. Sure, you can find cheaper options, but I don't think you can find a better option.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
With PSC and 37s, definitely add the ram assist.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I'm only running the PSC big bore box and high flow PSC steering pump. I got a deal on the big bore box from another member here and the rest of it from a local guy in NC who was going in a different direction. It works 1000% better than the stock box and will turn locked 37's in rocks. Needs a bit of muscle in some cases but they turn. I'm sure the ram would take care of that but couldn't pass up the deal I got on the PSC stuff.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I'm only running the PSC big bore box because I got a deal on it from another member here. It works 1000% better than the stock box and will turn locked 37's in rocks. Needs a bit of muscle in some cases but they turn. I'm sure the ram would take care of that but couldn't pass up the deal I got on the PSC stuff.

You can add the ram for pretty cheap. Should have the ends capes off that run the lines to it

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
You can add the ram for pretty cheap. Should have the ends capes off that run the lines to it

Unfortunately, no. PSC sells two big bore boxes and this one doesn't have the ports. But seeing as I paid less than half price for this lightly used box, I'm good for a while.

2,795 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
What about just tapping the stock box and adding the ram? Wouldn't that be enough for 37's?

·
Premium Member
378 Posts

I have never had an issue with being under powered. In fact the PSC is 1 finger steering on the street and one handed steering in the rocks. I have never felt like I needed a ram kit.

Upgrading the Brakes with hawk LTS pads is the best thing you can do after 37's

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I have never had an issue with being under powered. In fact the PSC is 1 finger steering on the street and one handed steering in the rocks. I have never felt like I needed a ram kit.

Upgrading the Brakes with hawk LTS pads is the best thing you can do after 37's
Agree, after hearing from others without the ram assist as well in talking to a tech at a shop today. he felt that just the PSC big bore steering box would be all that I would need. I do not plan on getting a larger tire in the future and I don't do any rock crawling. I run difficult trails at times but I only occasionally may get into a tough section of a trail where I have to winch, lock up the rear and occasionally the front. I am beefing up critical areas of my Jeep just to balance out the increased stress from the oversize tires. I ordered a Crown BBK for the front, everyone is pretty happy with the performance with 37's and Doetsch offroad aluminum tie rod and draglink as well.I will address the rear braking after I see how this front brake kit does. It's a bit of a job but I can do the entire install Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
The PSC ram assist is both the best and most infuriating mod I’ve done. Best for all the reasons stated in this thread. Infuriating because my old shop jacked up the install (over torqued bolts on some things that spin and likely created some leaks as well). I’ve changed shops and solved those episodic problems but what I can’t seem to adjust is the systemic sensitivity at highway speed.

Sensitivity or not, I’m never going back. Hydro assist for president!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
879 Posts
Agree, after hearing from others without the ram assist as well in talking to a tech at a shop today. he felt that just the PSC big bore steering box would be all that I would need. I do not plan on getting a larger tire in the future and I don't do any rock crawling. I run difficult trails at times but I only occasionally may get into a tough section of a trail where I have to winch, lock up the rear and occasionally the front. I am beefing up critical areas of my Jeep just to balance out the increased stress from the oversize tires. I ordered a Crown BBK for the front, everyone is pretty happy with the performance with 37's and Doetsch offroad aluminum tie rod and draglink as well.I will address the rear braking after I see how this front brake kit does. It's a bit of a job but I can do the entire install Thanks for the info.
I've heard of too many drag links turned into pretzels with only the PSC big box. I don't think an aluminum drag link will hold up to the torque of the PSC big box.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I run a Currie Correctlync steel drag link. Now my tie rod is a Fusion 4x4 1.75" aluminum with 2.5 ton ends. So far, no issues.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts